US Politics

Yeah and other networks backed up Fox and defended Fox’s right to have a differing viewpoint. In the aftermath the Obama administration backed down.

Several Fox anchors have said that the Trump administration’s actions toward the press have already surpassed that of Obama. I’d find a source, but I’m on mobile.

You’re right. Every president battles with the press. But Trump is something else entirely. Never has a President states the media is an enemy of the American people. Never has a President said it twice either.

It’s even worse when important allegations about the administration’s links to Russia are being leaked from intelligence agencies. The fact Trump is preferring to smear negative press rather than respond to these allegations with a reassuring tone isn’t helping Trump. Yesterday a Republican vowed to persue the use a special prosecutor to investigate the Russia affair (watch the latest episode of Bill Maher).

1 Like

People with little social capital, little in common with local populations and few opportunities in society turn to crime. Quelle surprise.

That’s my takeaway from the article at least.

I don’t believe anything I hear from him and I don’t believe anything the media rights about Trump. Who can you believe?

1 Like

My boy Trump, if you’re not going to the correspondents’ dinner, can I have your seat? Cheers!

Hoping for Alec Baldwin myself.

Mike Pence is like one of those nodding dogs on the back shelf in an old Commodore.

1 Like

The full segments are up on YouTube. I suggest everyone watch them in full, since they’re quite interesting segments.

The journalist found the returns stuffed in his letterbox. He doesn’t discount the fact these could’ve been leaked by Trump himself (as he is notorious for). The big problem with the pages is that only two of the 500 pages were released, and all the juicy stuff would’ve probably been in the other 498.

The biggest, most important thing about the returns is that it demonstrates a gigantic self-serving interest. Trump would’ve only paid $5million in taxes if he could’ve paid using the normal tax system, however because he had to use the Alternative Tax System, that went up to $36mil (24%).

Perhaps not coincidentally, Trump’s tax policy will eliminate the Alternative Tax System if passed.

He still paid $38 Million in Tax for that year. Of course he is going to try and pay as little tax as possible. As Kerry Packer said ‘anyone that doesn’t try to minimise their tax needs their head read’.

If you earn hundreds of millions of dollars a year, you should still pay sizable tax.

How is it fair that he can effectively give him and other rich people a massive tax cut, while workers who spend what they earn lose 30% of their income? Minimising tax is fine, but this time next year a middle aged worker earning $100k per annum could easily be paying a greater percentage of their tax than billionaires.

And yet we had this “fake news” from the New York Times in the election period.

One tidbit extrapolated into a could have “avoided taxes for nearly two decades”. Biased news.

1 Like

Because billionaires don’t usual special gold plated roads, or gold plated bridges, or gold plated public transport - they have access to and use the same services government provides everyone else.

So, you could argue, why does the % have to be the same when the actual $ amount is many thousand times more?

I’m glad MSNBC released these however. It shows quite crisply who is actually fair dinkum in their critcisms of Trump, and who isn’t.

1 Like

For example, Obama for a number of years during his Presidency had an effective tax rate of below 20%, compared with Trump’s in 2005 of 25%.

So why, matlock, was it not concerning you that a President earning millions in book royalties each year was paying a smaller percentage of their tax than a middle aged worker earning $100k per annum?

Also, Bernie Sanders had a tax rate of 13% in 2013 which I just think is hilarious.

1 Like

Haha yes that was the best one I saw today. Amusing, yet the same old standard hypocrisy from the left - really shouldn’t be surprised in the slightest.

1 Like

The New York Times.

2 Likes

Chock Lorre usually ends his comedies with a vanity card.

This was the latest.

National TV ratings for The Apprentice from 2006.

Bazinga!

5 Likes

What a way to thank the bloke who helped him get elected.

Helped him get elected? Lol