US Politics

I dont get how that is sticking to ones views and standing firm haha

[quote=“TFTV, post:410, topic:1886”]
he was elected by the public,[/quote]
25% of eligible voters voted Trump. I think it’s more disappointing that 47% of voters couldn’t even turn up. A lot to be said for compulsory voting.

[quote]everyone should just give him a fucking chance and respect the outcome of the election
[/quote]Just like he was not prepared to do should he lose?

But, rioting is a stupid response.

I am deeply disappointed in the outcome but let’s just see how he goes. Because now he has to deliver and to unite what is a deeply divided nation.

1 Like

I’m willing to bet that there are people protesting that didn’t vote. In fact, CNN interviewed someone on the street protesting against Trump that didn’t vote!
If you didnt vote then don’t fucking whinge about who you end up with!

He didn’t say he wouldn’t respect the outcome of the election, he said he would decide when the time arrived. Although, in the first debate he said he would back Hillary if she became President. And there was genuine evidence of ‘dodginess’ within the voting system. For example, people voting Trump in Florida and it coming back Trump. Maybe him pointing out his concerns prevented them (hence him saying he would only accept the result if he won).

The nation was devided before Trump announced his candidacy, it was devided during the election season and will continue to be devided. Even if Hillary was elected.

1 Like

Well there was a lot of talk from him about it being rigged. So not sure he was have been as gracious as Hillary. I don’t know if he would have supported her. His comments about locking her up etc. Were evidence of this. Agree that the country was divided - not devided :stuck_out_tongue: - before the election begun. We need to accept it and move on and hope for the best. Its clear he isn’t going to be running the country with his sudden change of attitude.

1 Like

Divided * :joy::joy::joy:

I thought his victory speech was quite gracious TBH.

1 Like

Yeah same but clearly hasnt come from him.

No, compulsory voting in my opinion is still ridiculous. If the candidates/parties can’t engage the voters why should they be forced to pick the lesser of two evils (especially in a two party system).

All it does is give the winner a swelled mandate that they didn’t otherwise deserve.(I realise even with compulsory voting you can still spoil ballots etc).

This is a rather good video describing mostly how I think (not all). Apologies if it’s been linked earlier, couldn’t see it. https://www.facebook.com/JonathanPieReporter/videos/1044777035645189/

3 Likes

[quote=“TFTV, post:415, topic:1886, full:true”]
I’m willing to bet that there are people protesting that didn’t vote.[/quote]

Me too.

[quote] In fact, CNN interviewed someone on the street protesting against Trump that didn’t vote!
If you didnt vote then don’t fucking whinge about who you end up with! [/quote]

That I agree with. Same with Brexit. So many people complained about the result but how many of them got off their bums to vote… or how many that did actually knew what they were voting for?

Rioting achieves nothing, though. What’s done is done. And if more voted the result might have been different.

But now Trump is the one that has to govern that country. Let’s just see if he has the poise, the temperament, the diplomacy, the political nous and the right people behind him to do it. I have my doubts but let’s just see.

Hadnt watched that yet. Very good listen.

In Australia it works because of preferences. If I’m left wing but can’t stand Labor’s position, I’ll vote Greens and they’ll get my public election finances while my vote still counts toward advancing my side of politics in general. If Labor loses enough votes to the Greens, eventually that wakes them up.

Interesting to note that one state in the US (can’t remember which) experimented with preferential voting this election.

I definitely think preferential voting needs to be something implemented in the UK and US before compulsory voting. Heck, under the FPTP system in the UK, The Greens and UKIP both won millions of votes but received not a single seat. Meanwhile, the Scottish National Party won a similar number of votes and got over forty seats. It’s absolutely shambolic.

The Greens and UKIP won one seat each.

Stand corrected. Still, the Telegraph states that, under a proportional system, UKIP should’ve won eighty seats.

The Conservatives and Labour average around 30k votes per seat. The Greens and UKIP average above 1 million.

Absolutely agree on preferential voting. It softens the two party system in most countries. MMP has its issues but was overwhelmingly retained in a referendum in NZ.

That’s what I am thinking too, but there is a sense of dread about how he will go about conducting himself and what he’s planning to implement.

I don’t think the violent protests and riots are helping the situation at all. If some of these protestors didn’t vote (for either candidate) then why are complaining about who’s their new president elect? They had an option to vote and chose not to. Chances are Donald may do some good stuff as president and chances are he will not. It’s about an even playing field for 50/50 going both ways.

Time will only tell whether this is going to be good or bad for the USA and for the world. We won’t know at least after his first 100 days in office.

Donald must be biting his tongue so hard regarding these violent, frankly ridiculous riots - he almost slipped up on twitter - but he’d be thinking what 90% of people would be thinking about them. Only left wing loonies would actually protest in the streets against a fair, democratic vote.

It’s incumbent upon parents to explain to their moronic children protesting that, yes, sometimes a Democrat is President…sometimes a Republican is. Your chosen party can’t win every election.

This election is a very good reset for American politics. A period of time where the Republicans control Congress ensures that there is no excuse for bitter, partisan division any more - and when nothing is delivered by the next mid-terms or the next Presidential election, the voters will have every right to vote against them.

TV.Cynic, maybe you should be a bit more cynical of the media in ‘the rest of the world’. The British learned that during the Brexit vote. The Americans have learned that during the Presidential election. Might be time for you to alter your goggles too.

Trump obviously spoke, in those two debates, to a large swathe of middle America - securing practically every major swing state, and solidly blue Democratic states. Hillary, on the other hand, was spouting platitudes and cliches to ‘millennials’ in NY and CA - she (plus her team) must be dopiest person ever to have sought the Presidency. Absolutely no political or strategic skills.

1 Like

Could you be certain that had the result been different that Trump supporters wouldn’t have done exactly the same thing? Would they not have accused the result of being rigged as Trump suggested while campaigning? Would they really have just sat back and say OK whatever?

I saw somewhere that apparently 3 million have signed a petition to overturn the result? Like the riots i think that too is a ridiculous protest. Like it or not the election is done just let what’s happened take its course.

2 Likes

Exactly. Trump was calling the election rigged. People were fearful of Trump supporters losing their shit if he lost.

I don’t think peaceful protesting harms anyone. I can empathise with those protesting because of personal concerns such as a fear they may lose health insurance because of a repeal of Obamacare, or a loss of rights due to a reversal of marriage equality.

I certainly hope this lesson helps galvanise the left and brings back an emphasis on a grassroots movement to restore a viable Democratic Party. Clinton had too much baggage and failed to convince millions of Obama’s previous supporters to show up in vote in states such as Florida. Bernie would have and should have been the Democratic candidate.

2 Likes

No, I can’t be certain.

However, I’d say it would be highly unlikely that we would have seen protests on this scale, with this level of violence. Suburban mums and dads, and rural folk, smashing up streets in LA…hmm, yeah, not so much.

As for Trump saying everything was rigged - hardly farfetched, consider we know for certain, for example, that the Democratic nomination process wasn’t fair, and that someone at CNN had been feeding Hillary information. Hardly inspires confidence in the system. Let alone seeing the nasty spectacle of the entire establishment ‘lock in’ behind one candidate, and be so far off what ordinary Americans were thinking.

1 Like