British Radio

I’ve listened to BBC2 a lot in the UK and my description of it would be it is adult music focused with some light entertainment talk and guests, but still playing mostly music every hour. The music is very diverse but at the same time includes a lot of mainstream classic hits and some new music. The music is kind of what I had hoped Double J would evolve into but I still find Double J too random and alternative.

BBC2 have a light and entertaining breakfast show still with lots of music. Then the morning show features call in quizzes with a music focus (e.g. questions on hits and artists from a particular year).

For me the secret is in the music though - it has just the right amount of mainstream classic hits and “adult alternative” hits. A low key and light presentation style. When they do have guests on or do a talk segment it’s never too heavy or too long.

They do a “full service” BBC news most hours especially in the morning and at night they’ll often do a feature hour or two on a particular artist or year - and they can get really obscure at night, especially for a station that is No. 1 in the country.

I really think it would work in Australia but nobody has really tried it here. I think it’s what Vega thought they were doing, but they weren’t. It would be a perfect choice for Talking Lifestyle but they would need to refocus on music and music related talk rather than the current infomercials.

3 Likes

Sounds great, thanks for the detailed summary.

An interesting editorial piece about the future of FM radio in the UK on Radioinfo: https://www.radioinfo.com.au/news/uk-almost-ready-turn-fm

2 Likes

I would be most interested to read what fellow members thought of this article. I have my thoughts but don’t want to polarise yours.

Christian O’Connell’s replacements at Absolute Radio has been announced, with former Capital FM breakfast presenter and current drive host Dave Berry to move into the breakfast shift.

OC’s sidekick Richie Firth moves into the 10am-1pm slot on Absolute 80s

1 Like

Great succession to have a depth of talent to shift Drive to Breakfast.

1 Like

Nick Grimshaw & Greg James are swapping places at BBC Radio 1

Absolute Radio - Frank Skinner - an absolute legend.

Great show…

And a great legacy…

Who knew?

Chris Evans to leave BBC Radio 2

BBC Radio 2 today announces that Radio 2 Breakfast Show presenter Chris Evans will be leaving the network. Thirteen years after presenting his first show for the station, he will broadcast his last show in December 2018.

Chris says: “I have absolutely loved every single moment of my time at Radio 2. The last 13 years have flashed by in what seems like the blink of an eye. I have learnt so much from so many people to whom I will be eternally grateful.

1 Like

2DayFM Breakfast in 2019?

Back to the future - Virgin Radio

1 Like

Everything old is new again

1 Like

Comes on the same day Eddie Mair begins his new drive show on LBC - it’s been a bad few weeks for the BBC in terms of departures

Happy holidays.

2018 has been a year of high-profile presenters jumping ship from the BBC. Now, one of the country’s biggest breakfast shows is moving to the Beeb

Yikes! They do this a lot in North America. Personally I find it really strange. Surely people don’t want to hear Christmas music for months on end? KOST flipped weeks ago. Those poor announcers must be on suicide watch

4 Likes

Though we go one better with Elf Digital which has been on since October, I think? True- it’s DAB and not a mainstream FM channel- but it’s still ridiculous.

3 Likes

The US tend to kick off early too - even for a few days in October.

The first station to flip on a permanent basis was WTRV/Grand Rapids, MI

2 Likes

This was such a gut-wrenching and powerful bit of radio. Hopefully he gets the help he needs.

3 Likes