British Radio

They’ve only just bought them though.

Global is still sitting on 2BR Lancashire, which will most likely be rebranded as Capital or Heart sometime soon

Yelp!

I thought it would have been HHH…

Looking for the video of the orchestra for the BBC promos. What thread again?

Global, the UK’s largest commercial broadcaster, will be introducing networked breakfast programs for their Capital, Heart and Smooth brands in England, Scotland and Wales.

Local programming will be reduced to a weekday drive shift across newly expanded regions, with the group closing 10 studios across the UK. More than 100 redundancies are expected as a result.

https://radiotoday.co.uk/2019/02/global-to-network-capital-heart-and-smooth-breakfast-shows/

1 Like

Recently there was a Youtube clip posted of the making of imaging production for a regional BBC station, orchestra and singers were featured. Where is the link? Am interested in looking again. Thanks.

This?

1 Like

Thanks, that was the example of jingle production I was looking for.

Speaking of Greg Burns:

2 Likes

BBC Radio 5 Live presenter Danny Baker has been sacked after a tweet on the newborn son of Meghan and Harry.

British radio executive John Myers has died, aged 60. He was involved in the launch of the Century Radio, Real Radio, Smooth Radio and Rock Radio brands in the UK.

1 Like

What is going on with the US style obit artwork? Very un-UK. Cheapens the solemnity.

Charming.

1 Like

Based in Australia, how can you access BBC radio stations?

Feel free to send a private message if you prefer.

The players on their website aren’t geoblocked as far as I know

3 Likes

I have a UK app store account and downloaded there new BBC Sounds app which works outside the UK.

3 Likes

There’s a bit of geoblocking (eg; when 5Live carries commentary of certain sports) but they’re fairly assessable

2 Likes

You can also use Tune-in - I occasionally stream BBC 2 in the car using that.

1 Like

Am spending some time in the UK, so expect some sporadic posts from me through most of July.

Spent 4 nights in London but didn’t get a chance to pick up a radio; the BBC’s national stations and a few of the large commercial brands are, however, carried on Freeview. I actually don’t mind this experience, given most televisions are able to avoid screen burn-in when an audio channel is left on for extended periods of time.

Yesterday was the drive from London to Bath, deviating south for a time. Had Absolute Radio on FM for quite a distance along the M4 before switching to the D1 National DAB multiplex. For my first introduction to original flavour DAB, this journey gave it all - 80kbps mono, muddy audio and drop-outs along some of the rural A-roads.

What was good about the hire care Passat’s stereo was switching automatically between FM and DAB when the DAB signal dropped out. I couldn’t tell you if this worked for the BBC stations - it certainly did for Absolute Radio on the edge of the 105.8FM listening area.

RDS and DAB RT is generally consistent across stations. Some of the stations on the new SDL National also carry station logos, which the Passat decodes quite well. Not convinced it’s a necessary use of bandwidth, especially on original flavour DAB.

4 Likes

Have you had a listen to Virgin on DAB? I don’t think it’s everywhere but certainly in London. Their supplementary station Virgin Anthems is a bit of fun. Classic Rock with a British slant.

Smooth in the UK isn’t as good as here imo. It’s very sleepy. Magic Soul isn’t a bad listen on DAB only.

1 Like