General TV History

Wasn’t directed at you but the uploader. Clearly they are at fault but it needs to be brought to the attention of the forum that the clip is a fabrication.

1 Like

Well said.
Here’s another bit of TVW7 footage. with credit to YouTuber steve rutherford.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEIunZoXJ24

2 Likes

Do any of my fellow X-gener’s remember Dear Danni on Simon Townsend’s Wonder World? Cute, saccharine yes, but I wonder if there’s a place for an “advice” show for kids in today’s big bad world?

and I can’t resist posting the glam opening titles of the day - and what a cast of reporters!

1 Like

I apologise if this has already been mentioned.

But with yesterday marking 30 years since The Simpsons were first seen on American television through shorts on The Tracy Ullmann Show and that milestone being mentioned across the world, I was wondering if The Tracy Ullmann Show (and the early shorts of The Simpsons) was ever shown on Australian TV.

Obviously I’m well aware that The Simpsons as a full series first aired on Ten in February 1991 (a good year or so after it’s US debut) and was also fairly synonymous with the launch of the first version of Ten’s current logo which we’re all too familiar with today, with the iconic animated yellow characters playing a rather prominent role in Ten’s “That’s Entertainment” launch promo for 1991.

1 Like

Yes it was, on ABC, but was only tucked away in a late night timeslot IIRC so I imagine hardly anyone saw it :wink:

1 Like

SMH TV guides say it was aired at 9:50pm, but eventually got pushed back past midnight.

1 Like

I actually have a couple of those Tracy Ullman Show episodes that aired on the ABC on VHS. I was very aware at the time, through reports on Entertainment This Week and NBC Today, that this new upstart FOX network had started in the USA and was being run by the former owner of TEN-10 and WIN. Having already been a huge fan of Married… With Children, I was interested in what else FOX was delivering to the American audience so that’s what attracted me to Tracy Ullman. I’m not sure if I was aware of the stuff she had done on British television before she emigrated from the UK to the US, though many of the '80s British comedy shows that the ABC ran were popular amongst my circle of friends in high school.

2 Likes

Five different documentaries being broadcast in the US to mark 25 years since the LA riots of 19 April 2017.

News report from Australia

1 Like

With so many reality shows over the years it’s easy to forget the ones that never really took off…

like The Lost Tribes from 2007?

Don’t remember this one at all… the only thing I can recall from that ad is the 9 logo :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

If the very short Wikipedia article is to be trusted, The Lost Tribes only ran for six episodes.

Like many shows that aired on Nine in 2007, it’s probably one the network would rather forget!

3 Likes

I’m reminded that it was this day 22 April, 1983, that the 25th Anniversary TV Week Logie Awards were presented. Hosted by Mike Willesee and airing on Network Ten.

And another memorable opening sequence which the Logies did so many of during the 1980s, although the dance routine that follows hasn’t dated well :stuck_out_tongue:

I doubt we’ll see much tomorrow night for the 2017 awards?

YouTube: FlemishDog

A 1974(?) station ID from Channel 7. Courtesy of RecordCouncil.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttUTPya_IYg

2 Likes

I watched “House Of Bond” last night and it was stated during the show when Alan Bond bought Nine Syd/Melb from Kerry Packer to form the “national” Nine Network, whilst Bond already owned Bris and Perth, but there was no mention of who owned Adelaide at the time (late 1987 by the looks of it) and if/how it was ever owned by Bond.

Was Adelaide owned by the Lamb family at the time, did it ever come under network ownership prior to Nine buying it from WIN a few years ago?

Edit: doesn’t look like Bond ever owned Adelaide, so he never had a truly national network

3 Likes

Bond (or Packer) never owned NWS9. I think during the 1980s it was owned by the Lamb family, who I think also had interests in radio 2UE. Later owners of NWS9 included Southern Cross Broadcasting and WIN.

You’re right, NWS9 had never been a Nine O&O until Nine bought it from WIN a few years back.

2 Likes

Yep. The Lambs took a risk and acquired 2UE cheaply in the mid 1950s as television was starting. They sold it to Kerry Packer in the 1980s who notoriously attempted to network every shift, except breakfast, with 3AK. Remember CBC? Alan Bond acquired 2UE in 1987 when the deal was done to buy Nine from Packer. The Lamb’s re-acquired the station when Bond was having his financial problems and retained it until just after the cash for comment scandal, selling to Southern Cross in 2001. I always hoped the Lamb’s would take a third bite of the cherry and restore 2UE to it’s former glory. RIP 2UE.

3 Likes

Oh yes I remember CBC. “The Biggest Sound In Australia” except that in Melbourne it barely rated higher than a 2 per cent share.

The story goes that after Bond bought the Nines in Sydney and Melbourne he was given a tour around the Bendigo Street studios in Richmond. He was taken past what was the reception area for 3AK in the same building. Apparently he asked his people “what’s that?”. They said it was 3AK, the radio station. “Who owns it?”, “You do, Mr Bond”.

5 Likes

Yeah. CBC crashed and burned in Sydney too. It lead to an era of success for 2GB with Mike Carlton on Breakfast and Laws on Mornings.

Hadn’t heard that story about Bond and 3AK.

1 Like

I’m also pretty sure the 60% reach limit at the time permitted an operator to buy four capital cities’ stations but not five - same reason why Ten’s ownership in the late 80s/early 90s was split between Northern Star and Charles Currans (with the latter owning Ten Perth on top of Capital), and I remember reading something about Skase being limited in what he could buy of Seven (on top of his QLD regional interests) - probably could buy the three east coast stations from Fairfax and HWT, but not the Perth/Adelaide group without busting the cap.

Wouldn’t have been until the reach rule was bumped up to 75% in 1992 that a truly five-city network could come under one owner - just that for whatever reason, either the Packers were reluctant to buy Nine Adelaide, and/or the Lambs (and Southern Cross afterward) were reluctant to sell, so the anomaly that was NWS continued on.

1 Like

A very intersting article from 2013 about Charles Currans and his media investments after selling his TV stations in 1996.

Did anyone remember which programs Jana Wendt fronted in her career? All I can remember was she used to present Ten Eyewitness News with David Johnston in 1980 and that service was the top news service in Melbourne for the next 7 years IIRC.