General TV History

Would this have something to do with the bicentennial being in '88?

Nine aired Threads here, and it was followed by a Mike Willesee-hosted special which touched on the issues covered in the film.

There was an image of a newspaper ad promoting it on the old site.

1 Like

They filmed some of that out at Richmond in northwestern Sydney where I grew up and some of the local kids were cast as extras as I recall.

Interesting fact, Nine co-produced Threads with the BBC and an American production company.

1 Like

Anyone have a picture of that newspaper ad promoting Threads?

Maybe but having a trend of historical mini series on TV probably was probably a trigger too. I wonder if more astute producers or networks could have also sent media kits or teachers notes to schools with extra background.

I loved TODAY back in the early 90s. Their “suburban” backdrop was pretty cool.

2 Likes

To me, the quintessential Today set will always be the 2005 era apartment set. I think that was when I started to notice TV presentation.

Still remember the morning I woke up and noticed the Nine logo on the Today Show was in a box instead of having balls.

2 Likes

We studied that as part of Australia’s involvement in Vietnam at school - I think i’ve also got it on DVD somewhere too.

Its a shame that we dont produce more TV like this

Tony Johnston used to host a children’s show WipeOut on Channel 7 in 1999. The show ran for only 2 seasons.

We haven’t seen Tony Johnston on Australian TV for a long time. What happened to him?

Wasn’t he the weather presenter on Seven News Brisbane for a few years?

He worked for 7 News Brisbane as a weather reporter from 2003-05.

I’d imagine that this website would help answer a lot of those questions!

I use to like him on Wonder World (mk II)

2 Likes

I notice Mr Flemishdog on You tube has uploaded what must have been one of the first TV0 promotional jingled (from July 1983). Does anyone have the exact date the Channel 0 Chunks logo changed to the TV0 one? Why was a change made at all since there was no move to 10 for a further 5 years?

I used to hate when A*mazing went on break and one of the inferior shows hosted by Tony Johnson (or Michael Pope) would take its place at 4pm…

2 Likes

The change to TV0 was to refresh to a more modern identification and was in part to move away from having ID as just a channel number ‘0’, which had negative connotations. e.g. 0 = zero, nought, nothing, etc. (part of the reason ATV0 became 10 in Melbourne a few years earlier)

It was also at a time that stations were taking on similar name changes. e.g. CTC7 became identified as Capital 7, BCV/STV/GLV8 branded as Southern Cross TV8, Channel 0/28 rebranded as Network 0/28 and then SBS, etc.

2 Likes

Presumably the TV0 logo was made to look as similar as possible to the Sydney 10 logo which came in a bit earlier in '83.

A 1979 transmission break from TVW7 featuring Color My World by Petula Clark.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Iq4sCE6pEw

3 Likes

I’m calling BS on that clip - no way that is real!

Static image without a any tape artifacts with a hi-hi stereo soundtrack when TV sound was mono in 1979.

2 Likes

Take it up with the guy who uploaded the video, not me.