General TV History

I have seen some Night at the movies presentation on Nine back in 2002-05. Steve Britten, Ken Sparkes and Tim Elliot (IIRC) all did the voiceovers. Tim Elliot died in 2011 after suffering from pneumonia. Ken Sparkes was synonymous for voiceover at Nine until his death in 2016.
The [Day of the week] Night at the Movies that Channel Nine used was the best that I have seen. This type of music made me feel very relaxed.

Sunshine Television News with Nev Roberts + promos (1995)
4 Likes

Would have to be nearing the end of Sunshine TV’s run as The Seven Network purchased them in 95. Also about the same time Nev retired and rob Brough took over.

1 Like

Now there’s a rare find!

Seems like the set only received a minor tweak once the rebrand happened, comparing that clip to digitaldan’s upload from a January 1998 Seven Local News bulletin:

Sunshine1995vSeven1998

6 Likes

Something rare at the start #myfriends

6 Likes

Nice find.

There are some other gems on that channel, including this compilation of Smokey and the Bandit III exits to the break, ads, a in vision continuity announcement, closedown and Turn To-based station promo.

3 Likes

#myfriend, is it true that regional women TV programs are important in the past ?

:confused:

#myfriend, maybe something is lost in translation here.

Are you trying to say:
Is it true that TV programs for regional women were important in the past ?

Well, we did have programs for women in regional areas in the past but I don’t know if they were important. Many of those daytime regional programs have been replaced by national daytime programs these days.

They were probably cheap, rather than important :thinking:

But they weren’t limited to regional areas, each city had their own similar shows but as you say they pretty much all made way for national shows now.

Yes, we had Good Morning Sydney hosted by Maureen Duval, from 1978 to 1989. She was also the face of David Jones department store and I can remember the store featured heavily in the show. Probably the start of all the advertorials we see on these morning shows today.

Infomercials paid for those shows then, as they do now :stuck_out_tongue:

National Nine News Perth - “Experience speaks for itself” Promo caps:

6 Likes

Well actually I just asked that because I just surf on the web and found that Band (Brazilian TV network) continue to produce both national and regional women shows for all of their O&O (Band Mulher)

I’M SORRY, #MYFRIEND !!!

No worries. I hope I interpreted what you were trying to say correctly. But I’m still not sure I did. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Today is GTV9’s 62nd birthday. I am reminded today of this article on the blog of Terence Gallacher who was film editor at GTV9 at the beginning, this is his recollection of those early days

Ironically, the launch day of GTV9 coincided with the last edition of The Argus newspaper which had been affiliated with GTV9 and there was to be some sharing of resources between them, but the paper was losing money and was sold off to The Herald and Weekly Times (which owned HSV7). The Argus was then shut down.

3 Likes

Was this Seven News update opener only used for a brief period in 2004 before the relaunch? Haven’t seen it too often.
Video Credit: ‘plainsvideo’

4 Likes

Weren’t there some Promo Graphics around that time in the same style as that Update Opener/Closer?

Although in any case, it does make you wonder if there were was a full graphics package made among those lines before Seven decided to overhaul the whole look with those slicker (and some would probably say over-produced by today’s standards) animations from Engine.

4 Likes

Few more Perth TV Caps:

6 Likes

On this day in 1987 Kerry Packer announced the sale of the jewels in his empire’s crown, GTV9 and TCN9, to Alan Bond for a fabled one billion dollars. Within three years Packer would regain control of those television assets, plus Brisbane’s QTQ9, at a fraction of their value following the collapse of the Bond Empire. Packer would later quip: “You only get one Alan Bond in your lifetime, and I’ve had mine”.

3 Likes