General TV History

Yes, the “Breaking News” font looks out of place with the “National Nine News” font.

3 Likes

Has this been posted here before? It’s a full Mid-State 6-8-9 news bulletin from 1985 (w/bonus points for the upload being in 50fps). The “Shanghai Charlie” saga seems to be quite enthralling.

3 Likes

Most regional stations started with a news service as it was no doubt part of their licence submissions to the broadcasting control board (as it was then) and because a lot of those early licencees had ties to the local town newspaper and/or radio station. Only some of the really small regional stations were not in a position to start off with a news service (RTS5A for instance, and I think Imparja might have been similar).

AFAIK, TVQ0 in Brisbane was the only metro channel not to start with a news service. In their case they didn’t launch a regular news service until 1974, almost 10 years after going to air.

3 Likes

A brief clip of the end of a Sons and Daughters episode from its original run - I believe this is on or around 18th July 1983. What I found interesting was the ECVO promoting a recording of Kingswood Country at Epping and inviting viewers to come along. Was this fairly typical of the VOs in that era? I assume it’s recorded although some effort is made to make it sound live. Even back then, Aussie VOs always sounded very hard-sell/in your face, as opposed to the more casual “I’m sitting here watching this program with you” approach you still hear on the likes of the BBC and ITV.

Credit: Steve King Legend (actually Steve du Casse, the actor playing the French character in S&D).

ATN7 - 18th July 1983

In the 90’s, ITV (specifically Carlton and LWT’s joint news company London News Network) made a night time programming block with what I feel is one of my favourite idents of all time.

1 Like

I agree. Here you go :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Back when she was hot. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Why do I get the distinct impression there were probably a lot of people tuning in for programs like “What’s Up Doc?” and “The Bugs Bunny Show” more for the host segments than the actual cartoons? :wink:

And gee, nine mentions of Warner Bros Movie World in the space of less than a minute! I’m aware that Nine would’ve had strong ties to Warner Bros and then-theme park owners Village Roadshow back in the 1990s through their output deals of the time, but it does makes me wonder just how frequently Warner Bros Movie World was advertised on the show and the network generally.

2 Likes

A lot. I’d say that show was sponsored by WB and they were contractually obliged to constantly bang on about WB Movie World.

1 Like

Come for the cartoons… stay for the…

“Hey look, Warner Bros. Movie World!”

2 Likes

Please focus from the 5:33 part of this video:

A PRG-style in-program graphic, very weird because the (channel’s) logo was placed centre instead of left in Australia.

Recorded on the Campinas feed. I’m not sure if the SP (Sao Paulo) metro region (where the network feed was originated from) received the same graphic like that, #myfriends .

I’ve been doing some digging into which carols events were televised in Sydney prior to the ABC’s first year of Carols in the Domain in 1983. Back in the late 1970s Ten broadcast The Sydney Festival of Carols that was organised by the Sydney City Council. The events in 1977 and 1978 were held in Sydney Square beside the Sydney Town Hall, with it moving to The Domain in 1979.

Thursday 22 December 1977, 8:30-10:30pm
Host: Gordon Boyd
Thursday 21 December 1978, 8:30-10:30pm
Host: Steve Raymond
Friday 21 December 1979, 8:30-10:00pm
Host: John McNally

In 1980 Ten broadcast one hour of highlights of a different carols service from Victoria Barracks in Paddington.
Wednesday 24 December, 7:30-8:30pm

Earlier in 1971, Seven broadcast Carols by Candlelight from Martin Place (incorrectly referred to as Martin Plaza).
Sunday 19 December, 6:30-7:30pm
Host: Andrew Harwood

And in 1972, Nine broadcast Carols by Candlelight from Hyde Park.
Sunday 24 December 1972, 8:15-9:30pm

I’ll see if I can find any earlier broadcasts.

Source: SMH Archives and SMH Google Archives

4 Likes

Cause of some recent mentions of What’s Up Doc and The Bugs Bunny Show here, have we forgotten about The Cool Room?

1 Like

Never knew about it to begin with, is it possible to forget about something unknown?

Was it national? Daily? Doesn’t ring the slightest bell.

1 Like

Yep, it was a national weekend kids shows. It did have host segments and Looney Tunes shorts. More like a prototype of Kids WB.

1 Like

Pre-launch promo for the ABC4Kids switch in 2011:

According to this site (https://looneytunes.fandom.com/wiki/The_Cool_Room) The Cool Room aired from 2000 to 2001 on Saturday mornings from 11am to midday.

Some content that aired on this day:

2000:

2003:

4 Likes

missed the Channel 9 Perth lineups and their presentation so much. Their Xmas themed presentation was the best that I have seen so far. I wonder if Channel 9 Perth has a Christmas Eve 2004 Themed Lineup as well as a sponsor billboard with the use of the new music?

• This was taken from Nine Melbourne on Xmas Eve 2004.
3 Likes