General TV History

Terrific! Is this Graham Cousens by any chance?

I would love to know:

• What resolution and framerate did they create the composition in, was it made in 16:9 or wider to give it a cinematic look? Or was it only produce in 4:3 and 576i as it was pre-DTV.

• What inspired the original concept?

• Were there variations of this that were not used or put to air?

• What program did they use to render and compile the footage for the package and idents? And how long did the rendering take? (Would imagine it would have taken forever in 1999)

• What was the main challenge in this project?

Thanks @WAtvVideos! I have LOVED this package for many so am very excited for your interview and very BEST of luck :slight_smile:

4 Likes

No, it’s Iain Greenway. He headed the the project when he was with TZ (Telezign).

Awesome questions there. Will keep you posted!

1 Like

Nine Perth minus the dots. How things have changed. Dots returned in March 2010

Imagine Bruce Gordon getting his way back then buying the entire Nine Network. Getting NWS and STW from Sunraysia in 2007 was the beginning but his plan failed.

1 Like

This Perth stuff is gold!
If you don’t mind me asking, how many tapes worth of Perth content do you have? Seems like a lot!

1 Like

36 tapes in total.

3 Likes

Any footage of Australia Day Skyworks that were shot on TVW-7. Trying to obtain vision now that STW-9 has the rights

This has been on YouTube for 4 years but I’ve just seen it now… some rare news footage and a promo for Seven National News/State Affair/Willesee '81 at ADS7 in Adelaide, 1981, with Bruce McAvaney reading a news break

YouTube: 256byteram

4 Likes

That is a good find… I thought that news theme was only ever used by HSV not interstate… obviously it was.

HSV would have been owned by HWT at this time and they also controlled the Advertiser which would have included ADS… so I’m guessing this common ownership might explain the shared creative.

2 Likes

Possibly, also as ADS7’s voice over in the news promo sounds like Don Rainsford who was also HSV7’s main v/o talent around that time. so perhaps there was some sharing of resources between HSV and ADS as part of a common ownership.

But the news theme (“Industry Today”) was also used at one point at STW9 in Perth and TNT9 in Launceston, so it was doing the rounds…

4 Likes

The late George H W Bush visiting Sydney on New Year’s Eve 1991 and attending the fireworks that year.

5 Likes

3 Likes

Happy 62nd birthday to the Sydney flagship television station of the Seven Network Australia.

4 Likes

I thought Seven has actually seen HSV Melbourne as being their flagship station more than ATN Sydney in recent years…

4 Likes

Traitor. We might have to send you south to live with Sully if you keep that up!

10 Likes

Given they put their best news reader in the nation there, I’d have assumed STQ was their flagship.

6 Likes

Nor sure if this has been posted

THE BOX IN THE CORNER

​​Curator’s Talk with Nigel Giles

​Wednesday 5 December, 11am - 12noon
Nigel Giles, curator of The Box in the Corner, will discuss the television shows he loved to watch as a child and how they ultimately led him to becoming an avid collector of Australian TV memorabilia. He will also share stories about some of the items and artefacts displayed in the exhibition. Free, all welcome.

TV Show and Tell

Saturday 9 February, 2pm​
Join Wollongong City Libraries for this special TV edition of show and Tell! Held in conjunction with Wollongong Art Gallery’s The TV Show and The box in the Corner .

Do you have a treasured object with a story to tell? Do you have a passion for TV collectables, whether its kitschy or collectable, rare or mass produced, come and share your favourite TV memories!

You are invited to bring in a treasured object and share with others its history and significance. Wollongong City Libraries will also be bringing along items from our collections highlighting the history of television in the Illawarra.

http://www.wollongongartgallery.com/exhibitions/Pages/The-Box-in-the-Corner.aspx

5 Likes

I wonder if there will be a special corner for Mappy?

2 Likes

Bruce’s a bit too preoccupied with his artificial WIN logo satellite (which is to ensure that Wollongong’s skyline always features the WIN logo) to bother featuring a mappy corner as part of the exhibit.

5 Likes

Nobody puts Mappy in a corner.

7 Likes

Caps recorded off Nine Perth on 10/5/1996 (videos coming soon):

2 Likes