General TV History

Probably what that theme would sound like if it were done today.

I was there in the Audience of Hey Hey in the Final episode in 2009. The Crowd knew it was the end of a era as that was the final Live Audience show at Bendigo St Studio.

Straight after the show, Eddie Mcguire had a special with all the GTV 9 stars meet and greet before hand and you knew that was end of Hey Hey and the End of Bendigo St ( Still remember the GTV-9 address thanks to Competition on Hey Hey, 22 Benidgo St Richmond Vic 3121)

2 Likes

The final episode of the Hey Hey comeback was in 2010.

The launch of Today on TCN9, the first breakfast news program on Sydney television, in January 1969. It was anchored by Diana Ward with newsreader Brian Bury, while Stuart Littlemore did live daily reports from Sydney Airport. One day every week there was an outside broadcast with only the news staying in the studio. The Australian Women’s Weekly at NLA Trove:

A higher quality PDF:

4 Likes

Except that ATN7 had Today with Ray Taylor in 1958 :thinking:

Let’s fired up by some overseas stuff, #myfriends…:

A closedown of a station in Argentina, but the most WTF thangs is when the announcer said that transmissions would began at… 6PM.

And note thats '89, #myfriends.

RIP Canal 8 MDP (1960-2018)

The ATN7 Today appears to have been a mix of news and cartoons. Maybe Nine didn’t regard it as a proper news program, or they just forgot about a program that was on about ten years before.

Or given the Women’s Weekly was a 9 publication they probably conveniently “forgot” about 7’s earlier show :wink:

3 Likes

ABC TV shows on dvd promo

2 Likes

I have a copy of TV Guia, which listed Buenos Aires channels from around the same time period…at that time, BA stations closed down on weekdays between 2:00 and 6:00pm (programs aired roughly noon to midnight, apart from the closedown; programs aired straight through on weekends).

1 Like

I’ve made contact with the guy who designed the New Millennium Television ident and package for Nine in 1999. I’m going to interview him mostly for my own interests because it’s kind of what got me into TV presentation all those years ago.

Does anyone here have any questions they’d like me to ask him?

1 Like

I don’t know if he’d still know/remember this (since we are talking almost 20 years ago now of course), but maybe when the graphics were first used on TV? :slight_smile:

My best guess to date is that the on-air debut was most likely sometime between the 5th and 8th of February 1999.

4 Likes

Is that the ident where the “balls” fly in to form the 9 logo at the end? Always wondered where the balls vanish in the 8 Darwin version :wink:

1 Like

I’ve always wondered that, too!

The balls fly to form the Channel 9 logo. These balls were significant to the network when Kerry Packer was still alive back then

I’d be interested in:

• What computer system or program was used to generate that at the time
  • How many man hours it took to make
  • Hear his thoughts on why TV stations don’t commission idents like that any more.
6 Likes

8 Mar del Plata (RIP) preempted noon-early afternoon programming, only aired evening programming.

9 and 7 Bahia Blanca (RIP) opted to air those stuff from 4pm.

Interesting Twitter thread on some classic Aussie soaps :blush:

3 Likes

The graphics in this - and particularly I’m talking about the endboard with the Harbour - are absolutely great. It was great in 1993 - very fresh and fun - and better than most I’ve seen since. This was recorded by me, and probably in my top 3 Nine launches…

4 Likes

Caps of National Nine News Perth ‘Summer of Cricket’ Promo December 2000:

Caps of Nine News Perth 20/6/2009

11 Likes