General TV History

Too much KFC again? :joy:

3 Likes

Do you plan to go back? Would be interesting to see what’s on there! :smiley:

Actually, yes. I had a HSC study day with my students, and because the end of the term was very disrupted, I couldn’t do my “last lesson KFC dinner” tradition until today. And unlike every other HSC class, they didn’t finish the KFC. So I did. And regretting it now.

I’ll be around tomorrow, if I remember I’ll go in and grab it. And then hook up my VCR/DVD combo to the TV and see what happens.

3 Likes

umm… what?

6 Likes

I know what he/she/it wants - whether I remember to pop in is a different thing all together. :rofl:

For some reason, last night’s technical issues which prevented Ian Henderson from delivering his final bulletin reminded me of BBC Two’s launch night being marred by a power outage. The channel eventually launched the next day

4 Likes

On This Day; 12th October 2002, Bali Bombings coverage by Seven News.

Message scroll before the bulletin:

4 Likes

The Seven News was not just the only broadcaster to televise the horrible Bali Bombing attacks. National Nine News and ABC news also covered the Bali Bombings running coverage during the night. Unfortunately, I did not watch the coverage of the Bali Bombings (as I was in overseas during that time). Did all FTA Networks had extended running news bulletins of the Bali Bombings during the night time?

1 Like

Here’s a old Notice Board from BTV 6 Ballarat from the 80s.

2 Likes

A bit of a raunchy promo for 1981…

2 Likes

59 years ago 7 Perth started

6 Likes

Happy birthday TVW-7!

3 Likes

was that Turps?

I pretty sure he did Dynamo commercials in the 1980s

No, that’s not him…

I found a 1987 commercial and saw it was a different guy… Possibly the same one in 1983 and 1986 as in the 1981 though?

Look at the graphics here and you notice that everything is unified into one consistent look. The titles and the supers have exactly the same font. I never thought about it before, but National Nine News had an incredibly organized and professional feel about it back then.

from my own tapes.
7 Likes

There was(i’m not sure if it still is used, given matches are ad free on Fox Footy) light in the grandstand indicating if there is a break after a goal. I’ve heard umpires say “wait for the light” when a free kick is played after a goal. Can’t the umpires wear a earpeice so that if the producer tells them “we’re in a break” that way the players wouldn’t get confused about that.

1 Like

Seven showed a report by Felicity Moffat for Seven Nightly News in 1992 during their Dubbo royal visit coverage.

5 Likes

Its only downfall were these graphics, that were already looking quite dated by the Mid 90s persisted right through until 1999 / 2000.

2 Likes

I think Nine did tweaks to some elements of their news graphics during the 1990s but yeah, a very basic style for the main Opener & Sets right through until 1999/2000 when they finally upgraded for the new millennium. To think, the 1990s Opener graphics lasted in at least Sydney & Brisbane until about 1 month before the 2000 Olympics.

With the benefit of hindsight and the lack of any decent online discussion from the time on hand, one wonders if Nine were really scrambling to launch updated graphics & theme music for at least their Sydney news bulletin before the world would have their eyes on the city (even if TV sets were mostly on Seven during September & Early October of 2000 :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:)!

Anyway…despite the New Millennium updates, I still reckon it was the 2004 relaunch that brought Nine the first On-Air Presentation package for their news which really looked modern for the 21st century.

1 Like