General TV History

If I’m not mistaken… it’s virtual

Wrong. It’s not virtual.

1 Like

Yes I was mistaken… ITN have certainly used virtual in the past though… in fact it looks as though they moved to the virtual “theatre of news” in 2004, the set above pre-dates that.

I’m glad we cleared that up.

It was on this day 20 years ago that Pokemon premiered on the Ten Network.

1 Like

Here’s the first virtual set they used in 2004.

And here is undoubtedly the best one they’ve had. Ten News First take notes please

1 Like

A short clip from the short lived TV game show “Catch Us If You Can” that aired on the Seven Network In 1981.

1 Like

I used to love that show and sad that it was so short lived. I was 9 :laughing:

1 Like

I believe that one of the models in that Just Jeans ad would be Adriana Xenides from Wheel of Fortune, just before the show commenced airing in July 1981.

2 Likes

This hour-long video contains news report footage of the Canberra Ansett Collapse from 2001, including Ten Capital News.

3 Likes

I recall watching Catch Us If You Can when I was nine, also. I remembered there was a Candid Camera element to it but I’m surprised I didn’t remember some of the people involved considering they were also in other shows I watched when I was young- Edith Bliss, Marty Morton, Grant Dodwell, Mark Kounnas.

Is this the same show that involved a segment about the production of a fictional show called “The Funny Bunny Show” at the studios of ATN 7 or am I thinking of something different?

I remember Deborah Gray although at the time I had no idea that years earlier she was famous for getting her gear off on TV :no_mouth:

Mark Kounnas was one of those TV kids always turning up in commercials. Then he grew up and played a gay guy in Chances and I don’t think he was on TV again after that

There were certainly Candid Camera-type stunts in Catch Us If You Can but I don’t recall anything of Funny Bunny :neutral_face:

Catch Us If You Can came after 7’s previous 6.00 game show Celebrity Tattletales flopped but then Seven hit gold with The New Price Is Right as a news lead in

Was that with Ian “Turps” Turpie?

Yep

It looked ridiculous - like a lair in a spy novel.

Despite 10’s problems at that time Neighbours was one show that made it through that period relatively unscathed. It was still winning its timeslot at a time when Ten was running 3rd elsewhere. The show still had a huge fanbase even though a lot of its biggest stars had moved on

And during that time Ten opted not to axe the struggling E Street but rather stall production for a few weeks to give it a revamp which ended up giving it a lifespan of a few years. Probably the only legacy of Bob Shanks’ management that had a positive outcome

2 Likes

Here’s something interesting - at the 1 minute mark here you can see a variant of the classic 1980s Nine Network ID which I’ve never seen before (take note of the lights on the ground and the final logo fly-in). I think it’s probably a final prototype that was never aired.

6 Likes

Spotted at a local 2nd hand shop…

17 Likes

What was Red Boots? A pilot that never went anywhere?

Could you upload this onto YT? I’ve heard it’s a lost pilot, but you’re lucky you discovered it and i want you to have video proof!

I didn’t buy it. I have a VCR to DVD converter but mother nature called.