General TV History

Wow you MediaSpy guys were clearly quite the rebels… other teenagers would be drinking, chasing girls or similar but not you guys, you’re manipulating antennas, splicing cables and hiding ladders… or is that code for something else? :sunglasses:

10 Likes

nope, I think it’s exactly what it was! I wasn’t doing those things but it was certainly similar and lots of fiddling.
Tested our new RCD’s in the mid-90’s by accidentally touching a live wire, Mum thought it was the iron which tripped the circuit. I never told them but it sure gave me a shock… so to speak.

1 Like

Wendy Kingston presenting a WIN News Update in 2003.

vid at 2:16

uploaded by ilovemytele2000

5 Likes

One full and one partial bulletin (but the Sydney 6pm news recording doesn’t end before an absolutely classic moment while bantering about the time a seagull was wondering behind Peter Hitchener :smile:) from what we’d now call “the good old days of Seven News” with Chris Bath, 22/10/2009. Top story on both the 4.30pm and Sydney 6pm bulletins was the passing of Don Lane:

Thanks to Steve Rutherford for these.

A bit more recent than the type of old Sydney news bulletins I’m usually looking for but after seeing some updates with Chris Bath in a Deal or No Deal episode upload of his, I figured it’d be worth asking if he had footage of the news because these are probably old enough now to be of some historical interest since TV news bulletins were formatted very differently even back in 2009 to what they are now! :slight_smile:

LOL at the "“How peak hour traffic can be solved in five years” promo for the following morning’s Sunrise during the 4.30 News - it’s still a problem in 2018, four years on from when it was apparently meant to be finished! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

7 Likes

A blast from the past. 5.30pm favourite Deal or No Deal hosted by Andrew O’Keefe. Hot Seat was still in its infacy with DoND dominating the ratings.

4 Likes

This sounds familiar. From German TV:

4 Likes

The first few seconds remind me of Nine’s 2001 station ID.

It reflects on the Still the One in 2001

Taken from NBN Television in 2001

2 Likes

Yes i did that too. I was obsessed with trying to get NBN 3 from Sydney, or WIN 4. On the odd occasion, I got something resembling a picture.

3 Likes

It is actually the same music. There was another production company/channel that used the exact music that was discussed in this tread a year or two ago. The “still the one” attachment was Nines modification to the music.

1 Like

I’ve even heard the music in an early episode of South Park of all things.

3 Likes

Presumably rights cleared/rights free production music

1 Like

Cheaper than commissioning your own! That’s for sure !
Most ident music is production music.

I find this interesting… the first series of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles was shown in the UK and other European countries under the title of Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles.

Apparently there was unease about ninjas at the time and concerns about showing nunchuks. Some scenes were edited out.

2 Likes

Like many of my generation, I watched the Ninja Turtles religiously (4pm on Channel 7 from memory). I can remember seeing a kid wearing a shirt that said Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles and thinking it was a phoney. Now I know it wasn’t !

2 Likes

Hero Turtles? Surely they could’ve found another word? :rofl:

It also appeared in a Millennium ident used by some ITV regions in the UK.

5 Likes

Interesting!
Also that news set is gigantic!

…and despite being from almost two decades ago, it’s arguably far more impressive looking than almost any news set we’ve ever had on Australian TV!

2 Likes

it might be impressive, but that era was a relatively dark period for ITN/ITV News

3 Likes