General TV History

God I miss Naomi… such a class act for commercial TV.

3 Likes

“Channel 6 Darwin…”
“Channel 7 Katherine, Alice Springs…”
“Channel 9 Mary Kathleen, Tennant Creek…”

Hey #myfriends (@TelevisionAU) can you explain for me ???

1 Like

:wink:

YouTube: Australian Television Archive

6 Likes

ABQ2 from Brisbane was relayed to regional Queensland and the Northern Territory. I think the only difference was that NT is half an hour behind Queensland so programs would appear half an hour earlier. e.g. this clock shows the countdown to 8.00am Queensland time but it would have been 7.30am in NT.

1 Like

The stations were ABD6, ABKD7, ABKA7 and ABTD9 in the Northern Territory. Mary Kathleen is in Qld - that was ABMKQ9

1 Like

Sadly, ABMKQ9 went off air circa 1982 when the town was abandoned.

1 Like

A real piece of Australian television history.

4 Likes

Did Capital Television atop the ‘X TEN’ logo the same time as Network Ten?

Yes
CTC10_1989

1 Like

6 Likes

Do you know much about that ‘The Steelers Big Game’ - obviously that’s a replay of the match the Illawarra Steelers would have played, but did Capital also have a ‘Raiders Big Game’ in the same slot into Canberra?

Did those games otherwise get shown on TV - or was 11pm after a movie the only airing? Is that much different to how WIN handled things pre-aggregation?

I haven’t seen much about the broadcast history of Rugby League pre-Super League War, so I’m interested in how that went.

Don’t know anything to answer any of those questions I’m afraid. Hopefully others here have some insight into this

1 Like

Correct me if I’m wrong… but I seem to recall Capital rolling out their Canberra based 6pm Newshour across the entire aggregated region when they launched but very quickly deciding to take Sydney news at 5 in Wollongong (and possibly the central west) maintaining the 6pm news in Canberra only.

I’m not sure of the timeline but the Canberra news was moved to 5 and then axed.

Capital had its own Wollongong local news insert on its 6pm news bulletin, but was axed in December 1989.

Source: The Canberra Times, 5th December 1989

Capital continued to air the Canberra bulletin across the Southern NSW aggregate region, until they decided to shift its 6pm bulletin to 5pm in-line with the metro Ten stations on 20th January 1992, from which point the Illawarra/South Coast & Central West/Riverina regions got the Sydney edition of Ten Eyewitness News, whilst Canberra maintained its own bulletin.

Source: The Canberra Times, 12th January 1992

Then on 2nd March 1992, Capital shifted its Canberra news service back to 6pm after 6 weeks at 5pm. It remained in that timeslot until the bulletin was axed in November 2001.

4 Likes

Thanks TV-Expert, that’s very interesting.
There were a few more twists and turns than I remembered.

Before Larry Emdur. Before Ian Turpie. There was Gary Meadows hosting The Price Is Right from the studios of Channel 0 Melbourne. At its peak it was screening twice a day with a daytime edition and a 7.00pm edition as well.

YouTube: Lee Meadows

5 Likes

I was aware there was a version hosted by Gary Meadows but had never seen any footage until now. Thanks.

Something else notable I hadn’t seen in a while- the old black and white bars across the screen. Brings back memories of me being a naughty little boy fiddling with the tuning on the black and white AWA.

2 Likes

Interestingly, this seems to be a kine (film) copy of a Videotape production. I would have thought kine copies would have been well and truely gone by 1973.

I’ve been even naughtier and been up on the roof and fiddled about with the TV antenna without my folks knowing, though I wasnt quite as young then :grinning:

3 Likes

When I was in my mid teens I nearly got busted crawling around in the roof space when my parents came home early. I’d been playing around with the antenna distribution system trying to get better reception (splitting cables and reattaching them- badly). Luckily they never figured out why the reception suddenly turned to crap and didn’t find the ladder hidden behind the door in my room for three days because I couldn’t get it back to the shed with them in the house. Actual antenna was very high on the side of a two storey house. If I could’ve somehow reached it, I’m sure I would’ve tried.

7 Likes