General TV History

looks like TCN did same with the NRL in Sydney on the same day

Source: Daily Telegraph Mirror

2 Likes

My first TV memory was actually watching the ABC on the morning of the 12th and having a tantrum because Sesame Street wasn’t on. I suspect they were running parental advisory captions when each children’s program was scheduled to start, before continuing their coverage

Just been watching a bunch of Thank God You’re Here scenes on YouTube. Hamish Blake and Shaun Micallef were two of the standouts on a still very funny program. Ed Kavalee playing the straight man is slightly odd to watch though.

The Times

2 Likes

It’s a very little known and unrecognized fact that Network TEN Eyewitness News had a crucial and pivotal role in the eventual selection and successful choice of Sydney as host city of the Year 2000 Olympic Games. See below:

Join the dots and the proof is plain to see:

Oh yeah, you have to look really close!
3 Likes
  1. ULTRA RARE GWN CAP, 1983

1. ULTRA RARE ABC TV (AND STW9) SLIDE, -1975
  1. A ULTRA RARE STUFF FROM VEW8, MID 1980S (skipped to 10:13 #myfriends)
3 Likes

Great memories of the two iconic Sunday rugby league segments on Sydney television from the 1970s. I found these on YouTube.

Controversy Corner, on Sports Action later know as Sports World, with Rex Mossop, Alan Clarkson, Col Pearce, Ferris Ashton and Noel Kelly.

World of Sport with Ron Casey, Frank Hyde, Ray Chesterton, Peter Frilingos and Geoff Prenter.

2 Likes

Was there any cases prior to 2007, of Nine airing two NRL matches same night on Friday? in 1998(or 99, can’t remember exactly the year) Manly vs Parramatta was televised at 8:30pm (1hr delay) followed by the replay of Melbourne vs Norths at 10:30pm. Storm vs Norths was live on Fox at 7:30pm, but Nine replayed the Fox broadcast/commentary 3 hours later.

Maybe Nine could have dropped Burke’s Backyard and done some NRL double headers during that era.

And QANTAS helped out too - as you can see in an uploaded video from my own tapes.

Interesting that companies such as Ten and Qantas just seemed to help out by “lending” the Sydney bid their random Sydney aerials… I would say for free.

I wonder if Nine ever replayed a Fox game with Fox’s graphics commentary?

I can vaguely recall in the late 90s when I was living on the Gold Coast that Nine Brisbane did take FOX’s coverage of a Broncos game, I don’t remember which one it was.

I think it may have been either a Saturday night or 2pm Sunday game.

It was a bit of a one off for them to do that.

30 years ago today the Seoul Olympics opened. Some elements of Ten’s coverage from day one and two.

5 Likes

The combination of Mike Gibson and Bruce was a winning formula, going on to win the Logie for sports coverage, if my memory serves me correct. Gibbo much missed.

3 Likes

Steve Quartermain was also prominent at the main venues, recording some of the most iconic interviews of the games - Laurie Lawrence and Debbie Flintoff-King.

4 Likes

To my knowledge, the 88 Olympics were the only time in Australian TV history where, for the whole two weeks, all of the National commercials were originated from TEN as part of the program feed, for all 10 network and regional stations to air, with black holes for local commercials, US network style.

3 Likes

Watching that ad reminds me they used to give kids a tour of the cockpit during flight.

The 1988 Seoul Olympic Games was shown on Channel 10. The commentators that were used were Bruce McAvaney, Steven Quartermain, and I can’t remember which commentators flew to Seoul for the Games.

Wow, now there’s something they certainly wouldn’t be doing these days!

I think Tim Webster also flew to Seoul for the 1988 Olympics? Seem to recall seeing a bit of footage of that on tape some time ago.

Tim Webster and Graeme Hughes are seen at the end of the above video hosting. Lots of others including Wally Lewis, Mike Wenden, Raelene Boyle and Mark Tonelli.

5 Likes