General TV History

I watched Ten’s coverage all night - Sydney Olympic Aioi cement I’m taking about. Taped quite a lot of it. TV Cynic did you catch Anne Fulwood kissing Tim Webster at the end! :wink:

1 Like

Your post reminds me that my parents kept quite a few newspapers that covered big, historical events during the late '60s, '70s and '80s- moon landings, early space shuttle launches, papal visits/deaths etc. I think looking at those as a child was how I developed an interest in how news was covered.

5 Likes

I have the Daily Telegraph Mirror from that day.

4 Likes
2 Likes

The National Nine News Melbourne opener on the day after the 9/11 collapse + Ansett collapse coverage, presented by Peter Hitchener and Jo Hall. Really liked how GTV used to go for that double header back in the day when major news stories broke.

8 Likes

TVW has a double header in Perth with Rick and Sue for decades

1 Like

There was a video of the double header for the Perth opener during 9/11, however it appears to have been removed. Only a News Update from Sue in on YouTube.

Another significant event 17 years ago this week was the demise of Ansett.

Various news reports on all networks leading to its administration.

1 Like

Very sad news with the Ansett Australia going into voluntary administration. This has very negative consequences on the Central QLD economy. Taken from WIN News.

I found my copy. Must have been a late morning or PM edition on sale in Melbourne that afternoon

5 Likes

They were still doing PM editions back then and I do actually recall seeing the one that you have.

2 Likes

I wish Australia saw more of Jo Hall. One of the best newsreaders in this country - just flawless.

I know Ten was the first to finish rolling coverage on September 12 and resume normal programming at 6pm. I seem to recall a few complaints about that but it was correct decision.

Ten were the first to break the news and first to resume normal programming.

Most networks all abandoned regular programming on September 12 and until primetime on September 13.

Nine were still doing full coverage on the Friday the 14th, when I returned home from being away the whole time they were still doing rolling coverage of September 11 and the Ansett collapse/grounding.

IIRC Ten was also the first to resume ad breaks in coverage while 7 and 9 stayed commercial free for longer

1 Like

Another major TV event 30 years ago this week (I think):

We said farewell to Cameron Daddo who finished his stint as Perfect Match host.

To welcome the return of Greg Evans.

1 Like

Partial Bulletin of National Nine News Sydney from October 13, 1996.

3 Likes

Basically an extended version of the Sunday show which had been running for a couple of years, hosted by Max Walker (who had played for Melbourne in the early 70’s before being first change behind Lillee and Thomson became more important).

2 Likes
  1. I know ABC had extensive coverage of the horrible attacks that covered on September 13, 2001. IIRC, many children’s programs during the morning and afternoon wasn’t played during that time. When did ABC and SBS end the extensive coverage of the terrorist attacks?
  2. Did Home and Away, Neighbours and Sale of The Century delay the episodes by two days when the extensive coverage of 9/11 continued on TV?