General TV History

These are my original recordings of the Ten Evening News from TEN10. Absolutely classic - and the first one is especially enjoyable!

I’m sure I do have some more in my piles of tapes :wink:

6 Likes

13 Likes

I did so like that “More Australians get their news from Channel Nine than from any other source” closer.

Obviously not true now…

7 Likes

Hello 90s… Is that you? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

A very tragic moment in London on that day in 2005. Thoughts and prayers are with them during that devastating time.

Personally, I thought the 2004-06 On-Air Presentation for National Nine News looked quite modern for the time it was on air.

Obviously those graphics are best remembered for what they were rather than something you’d want to see on TV these days, but definitely a considerable improvement on what it replaced and what came after it IMO!

5 Likes

Four Corners began on this day, 19 August, in 1961, on ABN2 in Sydney. (ABV2 in Melbourne, and presumably in other cities, screened the first show the following Saturday night)

This is how TV Times reported on the show’s upcoming debut:

4 Likes

Former 3AW newsreader John Worthy passed away last week

https://www.3aw.com.au/he-had-the-most-beautiful-and-mellifluous-voice-remembering-3aw-newsreader-john-worthy/

He was also a TV newsreader, being the first news reader for AMV4 in Albury in the 1960s. He also worked at BCV8 in Bendigo and, as it turns out, auditioned for SBS from what looks to be either the late 1980s or early 90s. This is his audition tape:

Source: Patrick Worthy

This is a bit of a blooper of one of his news bulletins at BCV8

YouTube: NickNowra

4 Likes

What a true and respected gentleman he is in the TV industry. RIP John Worthy.

When your main newsreader is the headline news :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I’m sure we have a better term for them these days :slight_smile:

2 Likes

A lovely promo from the 90s

3 Likes

Interesting retrospective of early BTV6 days and the program Six Tonight, with program’s host, Fred Fargher and Musical Director Graeme Vendy.

Recorded May 27th at The Ballaarat Mechanics Institute Minerva Theatre as part of ‘Remembering BTV6 Showcase’ for Ballarat Heritage Weekend 2018.

3 Likes

Seven National News Melbourne Closer from 1985

Video uploaded by https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAyYkahARptb6O03qOx6BHQ / ‘oz tv’

4 Likes

From my tapes - from the ABC :open_mouth::open_mouth: Um, yes, my only ABC video ever. Just published a minute ago. Enjoy.

5 Likes

Ron and Sandra

3 Likes

The tape came from my high school library.

6 Likes
3 Likes

Although the video is a bit choppy, it’s good to know that my vague memory of John Farnham’s “Age Of Reason” being used in a network-wide promotional campaign for Seven News during the Early 2000s was indeed correct! :slight_smile:

'94 by the looks of that end title?

And for any tragic numismatists playing, the stock footage had a quick shot of a bundle of the early polymer $5 notes (which were replaced in 1995), and the backdrop had artwork from the paper $100 note, which was phased out in 1996.