General TV History

Absolutely love those caps! Do you happen to have any video from this era?

Yeah, that ABC News Victoria set hasn’t aged well and probably would’ve looked dodgy back then!

The NSW and ACT sets were a little better judging by the footage I’ve seen online, although the 2005 relaunch was a major improvement overall.

1 Like

Good reminder ABC Vic really needs another desk presenter these days. Perth has a sports presenter 7 days a week.

What sets Perth apart from the rest so that they get a sports presenter? Tas only has News/Weather presenters.

Yeah seems odd that Perth gets two sport presenters and a weather presenter, when all other markets have only one “secondary” presenter (weather presenters in Qld, NSW, Vic, Tas, and a weekend sport presenter in SA).

To bring it back to tv history, didn’t the Melbourne newsroom go on strike when Angela Pippos was moved to weekends?

4 Likes

Why BCV11 Swan Hill wasn’t a translator actualy, @myfriend ???

I thought it was

I think I just have the last few minutes of a bulletin from 2002, which is where these caps are from. I’ll look for the video and will upload it when I do.

1 Like

I have post it previously but it seem that, (I don’t want to insult you, @myfriend) you need to change some moderator, actually…

The sign on and off of TV8/SCN have this part:

“…transmitting to regional Victoria and SNSW, through BCV8, GLV8, STV8 and BCV11, with translator stations : GLV6, GLV7, GLV11.”

When I look up on Wikipedia:

BCV11 was licenced as a translator (see below from the Australian Broadcasting and Control Board annual report 1967-68) but its power was a lot higher than other translator stations

@TelevisionAU @myfriend
…???

1 Like

This is the TV Times report for the opening of BCV11 (plus some other regional TV news) in May 1967

The “**” indicates a footnote “Intermediate UHF relay at Gredgwin”. Must be how the signal is being carried from Bendigo to the Swan Hill transmitter at Goschen

1 Like

@myfriend, what does it mean ???

4 Likes

before the 9-8 era…

4 Likes

I do remember as a small child going to Swan Hill on holidays around 1975 and noticed that BCV11 had a studio/newsroom/sales office in the Swan Hill CBD, the logo at the front of the building was the same as BCV8 but with 11 instead of 8. According to the Southern Cross Austereo website they no longer have an office in Swan Hill.

1 Like

1 Like

MOVIE OPENER ???

1 Like

where are you getting these @myfriends?

A translator picks up its input signal from the over the air broadcast of its parent station, then re-transmits it on a different frequency. As the translator would normally be located on a mountain, had a tall antenna and high end reception equipment, it was in a position to receive a good quality off air signal from its parent, which the nearby townsfolk couldn’t. It would then rebroadcast the signal on a different frequency.
A straight transmitter is fed a video signal by cable or microwave link. The licensing arrangements were different, in part because a translator could only relay its parent by design, but a primary transmitter, could, in theory, be input with different content, although legislation prevented this from happening, legislation that had to be amended to allow Aggregation to proceed. I had assumed there was some restrictions on power output of the translators, but the Swan Hill example above suggests otherwise, though I’m a bit confused about the status of Swan Hill. BCV always called it a transmitter.

3 Likes