General TV History

In these NSW towns they drank Victorian beer, read Victorian papers, played Victorian football, angle-parked their cars front to kerb like Victorians, so they didn’t mind having a local station called Vic TV anyway! And in the Vic TV era Albury took rugby league live on Friday nights while the rest of the network took a Friday night movie.

4 Likes

A terrible opener to Nine News Adelaide…

2 Likes

You think that’s bad? Watch this:

1 Like

This is pretty bad as well:

4 Likes

Australian TV has had numerous attempts to teach the English language to our significant migrant populations. In the 1970s and 80s, WIN4 produced a weekly series You Say The Word, which was shown around Australia on the Ten Network

When SBS began in 1980 it top-and-tailed the English-made shows Follow Me and People You Meet with Australian presenter Dorothy Armstrong (more famous as the “Panadol lady” for being in their ads for years), and which also provided SBS with an early merchandising opportunity by selling books and tapes to go with the TV series.

Then, ABC had a series, English Have A Go. (I think SBS may have shown this as well at some point?)

YouTube: Học Huỳnh Bá

Some familiar Australian faces in this episode from 1996: Victoria Nicolls (The Restless Years, Sale Of The Century), Kristian Schmid and Simone Robertson (who both appeared together years earlier in Neighbours), Peter Curtin and co-host Joy Smithers (MTV, All Saints)

2 Likes

Actually,…

What happened to the “gray area” actually, @myfriend ??? (BTV9 Warrnambool, BTV10 Hamilton, BTV11 Portland, …)

Not long after Win took over VicTV, Win split the geographically large traditional Western Victoria market into the zones indicated on your map, running different local commercials in each. This was possible because Hamilton was a link fed transmitter, not a translator station. The object was of course to provide more spot availability to maximise revenue. However it was a failure as I am led to believe they never sold enough commercials to justify the extra effort in creating, airing and maintains the extra window. Some clients who wanted the full area coverage were unhappy they had to fork out more to achieve that. Another complication was that the Warrnambool & Portland translators would occasionally switch to the Mt Cole transmitter for their feed as a back up, and the wrong commercials would be airing, leaving advertisers wondering what it was they had paid for. I think the split feed was abandoned about 2000. Win NSW did this region splitting thing with Wollongong/South Coast about the same time, with more success.

2 Likes

That Nine news Perth opener in Feb 2006 was the worst package that I’ve seen since Nine dropped their dots. The hovering of the National Nine News over the skyline is so horrible

Could not be any worse compared to other cities that had the Nine news opening packages! The helicopter zooming away from camera is more than enough to detract away from tv

1 Like

For some reason, I like the helicopter shots. It feels very 80s :stuck_out_tongue:

Look we’ve got a helicopter! We’re on the spot. Turn right!

4 Likes

National Nine News Melbourne Full bulletin 16th October 1999

video uploaded by Gezza1967
7 Likes

Whatever happened to Tatts Keno?

Interesting to note that GTV used slightly different opener music than what other cities were using at the time.

In Victoria at least I think it got separated out to the package of gambling products that Intralot got. I think Nine stopped showing the draws on TV a while before that though.

I could never figure out the jingle as a kid. I suppose that’s a good thing, but for something I heard 100s of times growing up, it’s not until I saw ‘Spot Match Win’ written down that I made the connection.

2 Likes

7 Mackay 50th celebration report from tonight
vlcsnap-2018-08-07-18h32m55s660 vlcsnap-2018-08-07-18h33m37s694 vlcsnap-2018-08-07-18h33m47s003 vlcsnap-2018-08-07-18h34m09s485 vlcsnap-2018-08-07-18h33m52s193 vlcsnap-2018-08-07-18h33m54s323 vlcsnap-2018-08-07-18h34m22s158 vlcsnap-2018-08-07-18h34m31s694 vlcsnap-2018-08-07-18h34m34s217 vlcsnap-2018-08-07-18h34m51s725 vlcsnap-2018-08-07-18h34m36s653 vlcsnap-2018-08-07-18h35m00s051 vlcsnap-2018-08-07-18h35m05s088 vlcsnap-2018-08-07-18h35m01s528 vlcsnap-2018-08-07-18h35m10s585 vlcsnap-2018-08-07-18h35m13s372 vlcsnap-2018-08-07-18h35m23s770

9 Likes

I remember in the days before aggregation most people in Shepparton used to have three antennas on the roof, one for the local channels, one for BCV8 Bendigo and a tall horizontal aerial to receive AMV4 Albury. I didn’t receive AMV but sometimes I could on days of long distance e-skip reception, and I could faintly receive its audio at 100.75 MHz on the FM radio. In my honest opinion AMV’s programming and overall presentation was far superior to GMV. I remember at school people talking about shows on AMV such as Kingswood Country, Cop Shop, the Buddies Club, late Sunday night rugby league and others not on GMV/BCV, I thought "what the hell is that? RVN-AMV also screened many premiere movies not long after city release long before GMV, BCV or CTC. Canberra viewers were able to receive RVN2 Wagga in addition to their local channels and many Canberra households had tall antennas to receive it.

Also in the early 80s I recall the Six Network and the TV8 Network had some kind of local programme sharing deal, where the BTV-produced “Thursday Night Live with Fred Fargher” was also shown on GMV, BCV, GLV and STV while the BCV-produced “Breezin” was also shown on BTV, GMV, GLV and STV. There were a few other shows that had this arrangement such as Showbiz 82 (produced at BTV, a spinoff of National Star Quest but was confined to regional Victoria), Sounds Like Country (produced at GMV), Sounds of Sunday (BTV), the Lightning Spike Cup (produced at BCV, a televised volleyball competition with teams from across regional Victoria in 1982) and I’m sure a few others. AMV wasn’t part of this programming arrangement therefore it had a point of difference to GMV.

A downside to receiving channels from multiple areas is that for most of the day the programmes are on at the same time across each region, eg. live programmes (such as the Midday Show, news, sporting events), as well as Days of Our Lives, Sale of the Century, Young Talent Time, Hey Hey It’s Saturday (although AMV did not carry it) etc.

6 Likes

A Seven Nightly News Melbourne update from 1999 AFL Grand Final day. Does anyone know who the V/O is?

3 Likes

Sally Young.

2 Likes

Here’s a link to just the report, could be useful for @TelevisionAU if he’s planning to do a write-up about the station for the website on Thursday (the date of MVQ’s 50th anniversary)! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

When Optus started their AFL channel(later on C7 Sport) they were the first to do it nationally. Fox took it one step further, and since 2012, most people watch games this way.

The first part of this video & the end shows a wide shot of the ABC News Victoria set in 2001.

3 Likes

Wait till you see the rest of the set!

10 Likes