General TV History

I’d wear Joel Creasey’s boyfriend too.

2 Likes

Damn! :heart_eyes::kissing_heart::eggplant:

A snippet of BTQ’s news presentation from 1997, as part of tonight’s Flashback segment.

2 Likes

I’m not gay but I’d fuck him. noice

2 Likes

Hey @myfriend

…??? :roll_eyes: ???

STV8 Mildura was part of VIC TV from January 1990 when the station was sold by Bond Media to ENT Limited who owned VIC TV (BTV6/GMV6)

I still maintain that VICTV is a better name than WIN Victoria.

2 Likes

I wonder what would have happened if Great Eastland Television had of become a permanent fixture on the TV landscape in Southern NSW and Northern NSW (incorporating DDQ10/SDQ4, NRN11/RTN8, NRN9/ECN8) - Perhaps CBN8/CWN6/MTN9 would of become part of the Northern NSW region as opposed to Southern NSW

I’m sure it was particularly appreciated in Albury and Deniliquin.

1 Like

It’s the Redbubble stock photo guy lmao.

And with fox airing matches ad free, i assume that ox takes the ob output.

(https://youtu.be/4WtREvc8iAo?t=34)

1 Like

EARLY SIGNS OF SIX NETWORK ???

So much NSW translators… WTF???

Meanwhile in the West…

But…

Actually,…

What happened to the “gray area” actually, @myfriend ??? (BTV9 Warrnambool, BTV10 Hamilton, BTV11 Portland, …)

These are the sort of posts I love - the technicalities of how networking and shared programming was handled in the past.

I’m surprised about the need to fade to black while spooling tapes back and forward between segments. That’s the first I’ve heard that this could cause genlocking issues etc.

3 Likes

More of an issue with the microwave links not liking it, rather than equipment at the station, where a frame sycroniser was used to re-sync the feed.
In any case it was good practice to switch a program source feed to black in case any station failed to roll their break, as an enthusiastic tape operator, would be spooling the tape forward within 2 seconds after the commercial break started.

1 Like

Staff at the ITV stations were trained to wait a good ten seconds after an end-of-part before re-cueing the tape for this very reason. Most programmes on ITV ended with a burnt-on full screen caption at the end of each part, which was always held for ten seconds or so to allow stations to sit on the caption should their ads fail to run. The rule was never recue until this caption had faded!

2 Likes

I know that Southern Cross in Tasimaina used to sit out goal breaks all the time during AFL matches, i wonder if there were any others that did that?

I don’t know that any others did as a matter of procedure, but there were plenty of circumstances where a Station would sit it out due to some issue with the commercial playing.

I remember when Nine (WIN) first got the rights to the AFL and it was the first time we’d ever had to put up with ads! For the matches that Ten had, Southern Cross would always take and show ad-free until later on when they might have to run them at the same time as TDT and with those games they actually advertised the no ad breaks as a point of difference between the two. Once Seven regained the rights, Southern Cross started taking the ads between play.

1 Like