General TV History

Compared to the absolutely atrocious graphics that Nine used in 2007, the 2008/Early 2009 looks really weren’t all that bad in hindsight.

In saying that, Nine’s more recent packages (including the current look) are definitely much better than what they used in the Late 2000s.

1 Like

And might I add the ‘warehouse’ ident used in late 2006. Easily the worst ever ident produced by Nine.

1 Like

Does this look suspiciously like Guy Pearce in a 1986 Mars Bar commercial. Any ideas?

2 Likes

Surprised nobody has mentioned this little milestone.

25 years ago today we saw this logo for the first time

It came about without much warning, unlike 10 TV Australia in 1989 which was launched after a teaser campaign that went for months, plus glamorous media launches and promos. The only mention I was aware of before the 1991 change was a single remark in a Green Guide article in late 1990 when Ten was going through its massive budget and staff cuts, indicating that a new name was being planned for the network. But that was all we were told – although I’m now aware that the Sydney press had delved more into the Ten re-branding before it happened…

The logo itself I never saw until the next day, the morning of the 14th, when I saw the TV listings in the newspaper had already been updated.

For a network that had been through so many logos at a local level and at a national level, it is something remarkable that it’s managed to stay consistent for 25 years without so much as a few tweaks along the way.

6 Likes

And this is a video of it being introduced on air.

3 Likes

It was a little bit awkward that Ten had just launched itself as “The Entertainment Network”, with all the idents and promos that entailed, and four days later they’re becoming the hardcore news channel with CNN on continuous relay following the break out of the Gulf War.

Yes - I was just going to mention that just a few days later the new logo was on screen virtually non-stop for the Gulf War Coverage. Also of note was the return of Ten Eyewitness News (replacing Ten Evening News).

2 Likes

I had a newspaper article from the time of the introduction of that logo that featured an interview with the female executive who came up with it. She described how it was based on the ABC (US) logo. I’m sure I kept it but seem to have misplaced it.

So many of the greats from those videos now gone - Eric Walters, Mike Gibson, Tony Murphy, Bunney Brooke.

I remember the night of the changeover clearly. It was a warm summer’s night in Melbourne and I don’t really know what hit me when I saw it for the first time, but it cemented Ten as my favourite network.

I feel it has lost that exciting, crisp, USA-style atmosphere somewhat, but hopefully it can creep back.

@TV.Cynic I think it’s Guy,his first acting role on TV was in Neighbours in 1986.Just maybe he made this commercial before getting his big break on Neighbours.

I particularly like the first Ten ident with that logo, but even more so the variation used on Capital:

Was a really nice integration of a regional brand into the network look, and did a better job than the NRTV/SCN equivalents.

2 Likes

I remember the first time I visited Canberra in 1992, the first night I was watching TV there I saw the Ten ident start up and thought how on earth are they going to turn this into the Capital logo… and they impressed me. It was very well done.

The SCN variation (which was really just the Ten audio track with SCN’s own animation sequence) I didn’t mind but it was certainly not on the same scale as Capital’s in terms of appearance.

Seeing the above Capital ident really brought back memories of visiting friends in Canberra back in the early 90s (they have since moved away) when I was very young.

During that same period whilst there, I remember seeing the Prime & WIN idents, which were also identical to that used by Seven & Nine at the time. Being very young & having very little knowledge of the media compared to now, it was very weird for me at the time to see idents of Seven, Nine & Ten, except that they have completely different names and/or logos!

1 Like

I remember also that Capital tweaked that logo after a few years before they became Ten Capital. They showed the newer logo on the PRG and promos but left the opener the same which was strange this was in about 1994.

Tony Murphy passed away?

what was tweaked about the logo?

1 change was the bar that the capital writing sits on they had diagonal cuts on both ends / capital / instead of straight. I also think the capital name was in a lighter colour blue. I have it somewhere on a old vhs tape might try to find it.

January 17, 25 years ago today saw the start of The Gulf War. The subsequent coverage and its extent was a significant change for Australian TV news watchers. It introduced us to rolling news coverage and was probably the first time many people became aware of things like cable news, CNN or even that there was an ABC network in the US (even though dedicated followers would have seen CNN late night on 7).

As far as I know it was the most extensive continuous news coverage ever seen here with 24 hour coverage from 4 networks. At the time, Foxtel was still 4 years away.

The initial coverage was CNN’s Bernard Shaw and Peter Arnett famously breaking the story live that “The skies over Baghdad have been illuminated” as US planes commenced bombing strategic targets in the city. Later, journalists even in Saudi Arabia and later Jerusalem were seen live on TV scrambling to get to cover and putting on gas masks as Iraqi scud missiles were reported to be headed their way. It was of course feared that they were WoMDs containing chemical or nerve gas warheads.

This is some of Ten’s CNN coverage

1 Like

Late night on channel 10, not 7. And I’m pretty sure 9 were showing ABC World News Tonight every morning at around 10.30am.

News Overnight on Seven in 1985 originally had a combination of both NBC and CNN content, before Ten got exclusive access to CNN