General TV History

BTV6 Chairman’s Report. Sixth Annual General Meeting.

Ballarat and Western Victoria Television Limited.
Directors Report 1961

Review of BTV 6 Studio’s by Ballarat Courier

1 Like

BTV Coverage Area

3 Likes

Craig Campbell on Six News set in Studio B. late 1970s

3 Likes

EMI 203 cameras in use at BTV6

1 Like

LWT was a fascinating station in London. I spent 3 years there as a kid at this time. Fascinating because - as ‘London Weekend Television’ - they only aired on the weekend. So, their (extremely threadbare) news operation only turned on the lights and churned out content from Friday 6pm until Monday morning. What a waste of resources, in today’s mindset! Their news was always a poor cousin of the weekday ‘Thames News’, very folksy with Pam Royle, and their set reminded me of a parking lot - but I remember it fondly.

The London Programme - with one of the best intros of all time, in my opinion. Taped by me.

and their version of ITV’s stunning ident that impresses to this day:

2 Likes

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: TV History - Questions

If you already thought the 10 TV Australia logo was ugly, here it is in PRG form as seen on ATV10 in late 1989. (ATV10 didn’t find colour for its PRG until 1990)

YouTube: David Whytte

Here’s one used by 10 Capital in Canberra/Southern NSW.

YouTube: @SouthCoastTV
1 Like

ATV coloured their PRG logo in 1990 but they didn’t follow the NSW example of putting the classification in a black block. But we did used to see Sydney-based presentation after midnight as ATV10 went into a dirty feed relay of TEN10 Sydney overnight.

I wonder when clean feeds of afl, nrl etc started?

That brings back some memories. Namely, watching a VHS recording of Pippi Longstocking in primary school that had been taped off of ATV10 in the TV Australia area. I think I recall a coloured PRG, but it’s been a few years since :stuck_out_tongue:

The only consistent memory I have is how fascinated I was by such an ugly design. Then again, I was impressed by the cubed 9 logo at the time, so I was hardly the tastemaker

1 Like

From the time those programs were first telecast. There were many variations on how an originating station would present a program for other stations to take, but for the most part where a program was live the output of the OB or downstream studio control would be put onto the link for the other stations taking the program. When network originating stations started to network their general programming, the set up was that a clean VTR feed was given, or, depending on the network, a Presentation mixer output feed taken before the keyer to avoid the RPGs etc. Importantly, a clean VTR feed had to be switched to black during the commercial break, as the process of the VTR operator (or automation) spooling the tape and cuing up the segment during the commercial break could upset the sync signals and cause disturbance on the link. Once this system was up and running most programs were dealt with this way: clean program source, Black, clean program source. But because of some sports having many tight throw breaks, like AFL and Cricket, with verbal instructions to roll to the break, it was fairer to stations to give them an OB / studio output, they wouldn’t be necessarily having to match the Sydney Station exactly, and could even sit out an after goal or cricket over break if necessary.
The “dirty” feed of late night was only switched out to the network link when the first station needed it. Of course there are exceptions and variations to everything, 7 had a fairly sophisticated system of having HSV being an alternate feed provider to the ATN for alternate programming, but with the 9 network if it wasn’t shown on TCN, stations had to fend for themselves with running tapes, with GTV studio outputs for the Footy show, etc.
Before the satellite program service provided by the networks, some regional stations had to make do with off-air or permanent presentation linked feeds, so they were effectively always on a dirty feed.

2 Likes

I never thought of it as ugly. I thought it was quite classy, actually.

1 Like

Although this is obviously the best T-shirt :wink:

I would so wear that!

5 Likes

This ident… actually, @myfriend, that:

1. Must in use from 1989/1990 (?)

2. Last ident before eaten by WIN (?)

1 Like

That model is :heart_eyes:

Is that a self-portrait, @jens?

Yes, that’s my Grindr profile :wink:

1 Like