General TV History

TV3 did this in NZ, and I can’t remember if it worked or not. I did try.

It might have worked in the same way film is developed (fun fact - in the olden days, camera’s used film), and the pattern was supposed to leave an image on the film? Just a guess, like I said, I really can’t remember if it worked or not.

Thanks to Studio 10 for their 2000 retro show this morning that opened with this ident.

11 Likes

I really doubt that it would have left a pattern on the film. You usually need some form of optics to actually leave a discernible mark on the film. I guess it may have used a pinhole lens, but I seriously doubt that it was that sophisticated.

10 sec ident

20 sec

8 Likes

@televisionau may be able to shed some more light on adopt a dot (sorry mate!) but I recall that it was launched off the back of the Sydney Olympics

I recall the ads got a big run during sevens Olympic coverage

I remember you could get the dots at BP servos, tv week magazines and probably a few other locations

Such a coincidence they’ve gone with a 2000s theme, as I was just reminiscing about the old early 2000s promos yesterday! I gotta say, those old promos are quite refreshing than what they have on currently… :relieved:

Wow, I think that’s the first time we’ve ever seen (at least some of) Ten’s 2000 Idents in widescreen!

Presumably the network was being played out in 16.9 internally well before the first Digital TV transmissions began on 1/1/2001?

6 Likes

2 more - these are 4:3 aspect

5 Likes

I’m still surprised that the Olympics weren’t the launch date for digital - it wouldn’t have been bringing it too far forward, but might have given it a slight extra spike.

3 Likes

But would have Seven utilised multi channels or still pushed people towards C7 Sport?

Yeah, I guess something like a 1/9/2000 launch for Digital TV could’ve worked but were any portions of the Sydney Olympics being produced/broadcast in widescreen (presumably for overseas markets) to make an early switch worthwhile?

They would have pushed people towards C7 Sport for extra Olympic coverage, they had 2 pay-per-view channels “C7 Olympics” and “C7 Games” for that, they were carried on Foxtel in addition to Optus Vision even though Foxtel never carried the other C7 Sports channels.

I wonder if C7 had been on Foxtel full time- if Seven would have used 2 channels for AFL matches

To clarify that:

Optus have given C7 the right to do their rugby league commitments from 1999 only till the end of the 2000 season (which of course finished in August that year due to the Olympics being held in September), the other major sport that C7 had was AFL (due to Seven), the Olympics deal that C7 had was for Optus & AUSTAR and at the last minute Foxtel accepted the deal but only for the Olympic games and nothing else.

It should be noted that Optus Vision & Fox Sports had dual access rights to NRL pay TV rights till the end of 2002 as part of the peace treaty deal signed at the end of the Super League / ARL war in 1997, in 2001 Optus elected to have a 4 day channel channel “NRL on OPTUS” instead of giving C7 or another group control of their share of the rights, NRL on OPTUS was from the Fox Sport playout facility in Pyrmont, for 2002 Optus had dumped C7 Sport prior to the start of the AFL pre season in March, it also took out the remaining NSL Finals rounds + rugby union, that caused a big up roar and Optus relented and did broadcast some C7 content on Channel 41 or was it 40 either way), AUSTAR was not affected but C7 was shut down around June 2002.

Now going off memory (no research) was it mid 2000 or mid 2001 when the AFL announced the deal with News Limited to sell AFL rights which included web site for clubs (except for the clubs that had existing deals like Essendon with Seven and I think the Swans) + FTA and Pay TV rights, the FTA rights went to Nine & Ten with Ten getting all finals (how Nine let that happen is still mystery) while Foxtel (not Premier Media re: Fox Sports) got the pay TV rghts and started the 2nd dedicated pay TV channel for AFL called Fox Footy Channel (lol Foxtel back then were telling fibs when they said it was the 1st dedicated pay TV channel for AFL forgetting this channel .

Sports AFL

Telstra got the website rights and the main AFL website,

Ok back to the Olympics channels, the plan from Seven was to get onto Foxtel system and then stay there by bidding for the AFL rights, the issue not anti siphoning or anything to do with that as News Limited bought all access as they went into the deal with Nine and Ten both on board from the start and as such by-passed Seven which failed to use it last rights matching offer, during the next round of AFL broadcast rights it was Nine and Foxtel going to the AFL (minus Ten) and putting in the offer days before Kerry Packer died, Seven with Ten as a side backer waited the respectful time period after Packers death and used the matching rights deal they had with AFL to win the rights, if I recall correctly there was talk of off loading some games to either SBS or at worst Channel 31, but Fox Sports (not Foxtel) eventually bought access rights for some games from Seven during this period.

1 Like

I think some limited portions were. Obviously though Seven didn’t exactly embrace widescreen sports coverage even once digital started.

If they didn’t want to multichannel, Seven could have run something like a medal tally channel. I also have vague recollection of there being a online games news channel or something - like a Telstra streaming video thing?

1 Like

Ummmm did anyone else notice…

4 Likes

I was also thinking of mentioning that too, almost looks like the current Ten HD logo! :stuck_out_tongue:

Seeing those old promos makes me yurn for a On-Air Presentation refresh, so unique and refreshingly different to what they have now, blue and yellow was distinctively Ten, hoping something different is in the pipeline.

3 Likes

Could also be a wink at the abandoned Studio 10 You.

1 Like

Not when the equipment to best utilise DTV, let alone HDTV at the time was in the thousands of dollars (tens of thousands if you wanted a display to take advantage of it too).

3 Likes

That was just as true on January 1 though, I’d imagine people would have been slightly more inclined to take the plunge for digital with a major event rather than just it being a new year.

1 Like