General TV History

Sorry, I wasn’t alive

2 Likes

The impending on-air branding change of Southern Cross’s Seven stations to just Seven means that in the GTS/BKN area and Darwin area, the three channels will probably look the same as the metro channels and share their names. Is this the first time a regional or solus market has had three commercial channels with the same names/branding as the metro markets?

1 Like

I think you’re right!

A watershed moment really, every region will have that eventually. Of course, WIN will be the last one standing, but nothing stays the same forever.

3 Likes

TELEVISION OWNERSHIP CAP:

DON’T BE LIKE CANADA, @myfriends

I wasn’t planning on it.

7 Likes

@myfriends oh no, I mean all of people in this thread.

BUT DO YOU KNOW WHY I SAID THAT (DON’T BE LIKE CANADA) ???

BECAUSE:

CTV and Global (2 largest commercial tv network in Canada) have nearly all of its’ affiliated stations ara O&O.

CityTV has smaller coverage.

Channels like CTV Two are called “Television system” becaus it has even smaller coverage than these networks above (can be roughly same as a “regional TV networks”)

However, only CBC (public broadcaster, like ABC in your country) is the only English TV channels licensed as a “TV network”, otherwise, CTV and Global are “TV service” (CTV used to be a offically-licensed as a TV network, but no longer after 2000/2001)

I’m curiously that, can someone tell the thread about the history of decreasement in local programming within ABCTV, MY FRIENDSSSSSSS…???

There is no thread, my friend :slight_smile:

OK, just someone tell THAT (that history that I mentioned above) to everyone, myfriends…

ABC budget

1950 - $$$$$$$
1960 - $$$$$$
1970 - $$$$$
1980 - $$$$
1990 - $$$
2000 - $$
2010 - $
2018 - ¢

12 Likes

SE TELECASTERS - BTV/GMV INVISIBLE LINK???

2 Likes

Ten Website TVC from 1998:

Video

6 Likes

Interesting. From the start I can never really remember Ten having much of an online presence at all.

Not helped when Ten missed picking up the www.ten.com.au domain and it got bought up by Southern Cross Broadcasting and Telecasters Australia who used it to promote Ten affiliates in the aggregated markets :stuck_out_tongue:

After 9 had partnered with MSN, and Seven had started i7, Ten did an online venture called Scape but to honest I remember nothing about it.

EDIT: Scape was a joint venture between Ten and Village Roadshow. It lasted 6 months and cost them $22 million! Ten Network's problems are history repeating - Mumbrella

5 Likes

Forgetting the .au is still the best part of Ten’s website.

9 Likes

I dread to ask… :no_mouth:

1 Like

Yet it’s someone Ten could start showing to get themselves back in the black. :wink:

1 Like

I think SBS capture that market years ago

Did TVT6 use these logos on-air or just in promo articles?

TVT6%201961-63TVT6%201966-68vlcsnap-2011-08-23-19h47m41s228_zpscd217fea

1 Like

Featuring a proto-lissajous logo

Plus classic bloopers:

1 Like