General TV History

GTV was still using them as late as 2009 during the aftermath of the Black Saturday bushfires.

BCM stopped in 2002 I reckon, or early 2003 - before Jen Keyte arrived.

I could’ve sworn that I saw GTV using credits much later than 2009…

1 Like

With AFL, would that be a issue, since a break could occur after a goal,quarter time,etc?

Only for getting the timing right and not clipping commentary. By the time stations were taking live football, clean feeds were available on Satellite or bearer. World of Sport commercials were run through the studio control and not presentation, there was no way a clean feed could be provided, and the break durations were kind of made up on the run according to how the flow of the program was going. An HSV sponsored segment might have been moved because the presenter hadn’t come in yet, so the Directors assistant called out to tapes how they wanted each break sequenced. A Relay station was given a listen only line of all the control room banter and tried to pick out the DA’s instructions amongst the noise. On top of that, once HSV were using ACR25 cart machines they had a 9 frame pre-roll to commercials, while some stations were using VTRs with probably 4 second roll-ups.

2 Likes

Fox uses a clean feed on football, so it really isn’t noticeable. When i watch old matches, a lot of times the caller would pause after a goal, likely so that the ad could run without clipping him.

IIRC, Sunday bulletins only.

1 Like

They did move to Saturday when a 60 Minutes promo was slotted into Sundays and a cut straight to The Block.

1 Like

So this wasn’t BTV6’s first logo?

BTV6%201962-75

1 Like

This was a magazine ad from June 1962, six weeks after the channel launched.

4 Likes

‘You get better viewing on BTV6’. as opposed to the other channels?

1 Like

I wouldn’t rule out a lot of people around Ballarat having huge antennas to pick up the Melbourne channels. Even with “average” antennas, the Melbourne channels probably got a decent picture in Ballarat.

6 Likes

As Well as High Power FM Stations from
The ATV 10 Transmitter.

hmm there weren’t many (any) of those in 1962 :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

They sure did. On just about every house or business. You can still see bits of them hanging in the sky with missing elements, feedlines, broken guy wires.

1 Like

Sounds beautiful

1 Like

BTV 6 Test Pattern and RCA Camera

4 Likes

The high gain VHF Band 3 antennas designed for 7, 9 and 10 were never much good at picking up FM radio.

That was definitely Seven. TVQ used “color your world”, not colors.

1 Like

I wonder when clean feeds were started to be used on football?

So it was used by BTQ late in '75?