General TV History

4 Likes

2 Likes

BTV9 is the semi-satellite???

sigh - NO!

BTV 9 would have been a straight repeater station of BTV 6 Ballarat, serving Warrnambool.

Also, I am going to give you a quick explanation of the difference between a semi-satellite station, and a full satellite station, or, as the logo states, a translator.

A semi-satellite station is a station that transmits the majority of its parent station’s programming, but does opt out for local or alternative programming just on that station, and/or runs separate advertising targeted for that local area. Example - QTQ 9 Brisbane’s Gold Coast transmitters air their own 5.30pm local news bulletin, instead of whatever QTQ Brisbane has on at 5.30pm.

A translator OR satellite station airs 100% of the programs and ads from their parent station. Example - BTV 6 Ballarat relays its programs to BTV 9 Warrnambool with no variations. What someone in Warrnambool on BTV 9 sees would be the same as what someone in Ballarat on BTV 6 sees.

6 Likes

Nice use of the logo though :slight_smile:

Pity it comes undone when there’s new translators added on other channels

2 Likes

That is why you don’t name your station after a channel number that is only relevant in ONE area.

e.g. NBN Channel 3 Newcastle, relaying Nine Network programs on old analog channel 10 in the Upper Hunter. Because I had people referring to NBN as either channel 3, 9 or 10. And now 8!

2 Likes

Though I note how they’ve put the word “channel” in front of the 9 but not the 6?

only because “Channel” normally goes where the “9” is

btv6

2 Likes

When the BTV9 translater started service, for a while there, there was a short magazine programme devoted to Warrnambool called “9 time” even though it was, of course, also seen on the 6 transmitter. I don’t know much more than that, or how long it lasted.

1 Like

When BCV8 opened its translator station BCV11 in Swan Hill they had a variety show called Variety Eleven. Supposedly featured performances from acts from the Swan Hill area but screened across both BCV 8 and 11.

I guess opening translator stations, like TV stations themselves, was something of a big deal at the time as for those people it most likely meant seeing TV for the first time, so the stations made an event of it.

4 Likes

I’d hate to think if NBN-3 made a program when they opened up the Upper Hunter translator…oh dear god. :crazy_face:

I will reiterate that as much as I love the place, not much happens in Scone, Aberdeen, Muswellbrook, Singleton, Merriwa or Murrurundi, give or take the odd cannibalistic murder.

2 Likes

Here is one more…

Neighbours Promo (October 2006). The last three seconds or so.

…and a McLeod’s Daughters Promo (September 2006)

Was this used by BTQ-7 during the color years?

BTQ7_1976

Yes

Sure? I thought another Brisbane channel may have used it even though it was employed by 7 in Sydney and Melbourne.

1 Like

This was HSV7’s version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7gZdYVZJNc

1 Like

Not 100% but I can remember seeing that. From what I remember, the first slogan BTQ used for colour broadcasting was “First in Color”, followed by The Entertainers then Colors Your World / Color Machine.

2 Likes

CTC-7 also used ‘Color Your World’.

1 Like

Vale, Cornelia Frances.

7 Likes

I have seen Cornelia Frances being a host on the Weakest Link and she was a wonderful and a charming lady. She was born in England but moved to Australia in 1970 where she played a huge role in soap operas - Home and Away and Sons and Daughters. She was described as a charming and a friendly lady. RIP Cornelia Frances. (1941-2018)

4 Likes