General TV History

This one from Epsilon TV Greece springs to mind. But I think it’s purposefully ripped rather than picked from a library.

4 Likes

There’s also PTC News from Punjab. Not sure if ripped from Nine or from a sound library:

2 Likes

What about the music they used for the news-breaks brought to us by National Mutual?

It sounds like they’ve used the sound library from BBC News for their headlines…

Oh yes, KBS News 9 (1991-1993)

1 Like

I believe it was for an ING Bank commercial, back when Billy Connelly used to do ads for them.

And the headline bed uses Al Jazeera’s English business update music…

A couple of examples from this side of the Pacific:

• Canadian Punjabi-language show Gaunda Punjab uses the last few notes of the 2005-2010 ABC News theme for program idents.
  • Ten’s news music was being used by a Telemundo affiliate in Oklahoma City (saw it on a compilation of news opens).

Correct me if I’m wrong but I don’t think we’ve seen this lineup graphic from the 2004-2006 Channel 9 on-air presentation package before?

3 Likes

Inside this video is a big tribute to an Australian entertainer, Graham Kennedy who died on 25 May 2005. It was a very sad year for Australian TV. Channel 9 covered his funeral service live.
RIP Graham Kennedy (1934-2005).

if I recall correctly, Channel 7 covered the funeral because Channel 9 initially declined, but as a goodwill gesture Seven made its vision available to Nine and so it ended up being simulcast across both channels.

Interesting also that in the Channel 9 tribute to Graham Kennedy was footage (and audio) from Kennedy performing the song For All We Know was actually from Channel 0 when he appeared as a guest on Young Talent Time

Source: Australian Television Archive

3 Likes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBpUcL5kqvU

I remember the Graham Kennedy funeral day well, I travelled from Eden to Wagga(We were suppose to travel to Cobram) with a Caravan via Cooma and Tumut. Got to outside Wagga and the wheel fall off the caravan. Called the NRMA and got it repair and stayed the night and wanted to watch the replay on Channel 9 or Win at 10:30pm. Go ready and all I remember was the first minute and fell asleep.

Only watched the funeral for the first time last year on Youtube.

@TelevisionAU @ElCapitanCranky @…
Do you have more NTD8 stuff, my friends???

With not very many (if any) Darwin-based TV history enthusiasts, we just have to take what we can get when it comes to historical content from NTD-8.

1 Like

I think it was just a promo for a lineup rather than a signpost.

2 Likes

Sad to hear of the passing of Charles Slade. One of the great TV journos.

3 Likes

There’s not much around my friend. That’s the problem with regional TV particularly from remote places like Darwin, not a great deal has been documented or archived.

However I do have a sales brochure from NTD8 circa 1984, here are some of the pages:

9 Likes

20 years ago, but so slick. Just marvellous.

2 Likes

Sport tonight. Channel 10 had the best late news coverage in the mid to late 90’s into the 00’s.

Only thing decent is The world on ABC 24 now

2 Likes