General TV History

Do you remember some Educational Program called Channel 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 that aired on ABC during 1987?

2 Likes

Late News from 5 May 2000 - second news report is from Grant Denyer - 18 years ago!

8 Likes

If you go back before that, he was a Reporter for Prime Local News in Wagga Wagga in the late 90’s.

Fast forward to 2:42

1 Like

TEN-10 May 7 and 8 1988 - News, idents, promos, State bank Big Game opener.

Long closer from 7 May 1988 - good example of the 10 Australia version of the “Turn to News” theme.

4 Likes

…from the days Ten produced local weekend news bulletins.

Personally I wonder if you might’ve seen any of the content viewed in Sydney back then as some sort of preview of what Ten Brisbane would use for their on-air branding after the frequency switch? :slight_smile:

TVQ O had been using the Turn to News package for a couple of years even more so than other 10 stations with their “Stand up and tell em’” idents.

As well as for the news

1 Like

Localised weekend News bulletins used to air on TEN until 1994. This made way into a 30-minute national bulletin coming from Sydney.

And in 2011, TEN reintroduced localised bulletins in 5PM and 6pm time slot. Unfortunately, this was unprofitable during the ‘TEN News Revolution’ and was moved to a 90-min national bulletin from October 2011. Since 2012, TEN reverted the flagship bulletin to 60 minutes.

I’m sure Bruce Gordon would disagree with you there!

but didn’t some Ten shows such as the Simpsons end up on WIN in the pre-TDT era?

Not quite. The local bulletins were axed mid-1993. There was only national late news until late 1994, then the 5pm news came a little later.

Adelaide and Perth had local weekend news until 1995 because of Curran ownership.

1 Like

Claudia Emery was such a great newsreader for Ten. Flawless.

Not that I am aware of. WIN was purely a Nine outlet in Tasmania. Southern Cross had Seven and Ten.

But WIN in Western Australia and Mildura would be predominantly Nine with the occasional Ten program thrown in. WIN (MTN) Griffith possibly the same. As those markets had Seven affiliates in competition but no Ten outlet

1 Like

When Ten did weekend news

I think Jen Keyte did the Melbourne version with Alistaire Patterson (and later Sarah Henderson). Can’t find footage, but I love this news update set:

3 Likes

but I do remember that Southern Cross in Tassie had predominately a Seven based schedule, with some Ten programming shown late at night or in timeslots where Seven had a lower rating programme. This was in the era when Ten was rating a distant third to Nine and Seven.

It’s to my understanding that in the East Coast markets, the final local weekend editions of Ten Eyewitness News at 6pm aired on August 8, 1993.

The national 5pm bulletins started on August 20, 1994 - probably timed to coincide with the Commonwealth Games + the On-Air Presentation relaunch which resulted in the “Eyewitness” being dropped from the name of Ten News (…until it was brought back in 2013 of course)!

There is Mike with out the famous Mo

I guess this is sort of TV History related… Channel ident/signpost music or news/current affair themes, past or present, that are partially or entirely sourced from production music libraries that you’ve heard for unrelated purposes?

On more than one occasion I’ve heard certain pieces of music in different contexts. I’ve previously posted about the current Today Tonight Adelaide (News Themes), which I overheard on one of ten’s programmes last year (and more recently, a 7two promo for a UK show that I can’t think of). There are others!

Take this 2000 Christmas ident for Channel 7:

…aside from some alterations like the electricity sound effect, it is available in a production music library from https://www.adrenalinsounds.com.

Or this Nine Ident:

… where an identical sounding build-up of strings is heard in the following video (but I don’t know the name of the music track or which library it came from):

There are a couple others that are listed in production music libraries but which I haven’t heard in other contexts (…yet):

So do any other examples come to mind where you’ve heard music from AU TV channel or news branding play from something completely unrelated? :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I remember there was an unrelated ad on TV maybe a decade ago which used that exact music, and I definitely recognised it as the music from Nine’s 2001 IDs.

1 Like

I think it was a car brand, maybe Nissan?

CTC 7’s version of the “Turn to News” from 30 years ago today.

2 Likes