General TV History

The stylised on-screen clock (only ever seen on Ten Sydney?) looks somewhat ahead of it’s time if you ask me - almost something that wouldn’t have been totally out of place on TV a decade later!

One sad thing about the recording though is how there were layoffs at Ten shortly after that particular edition of Good Morning Australia went to air, including a presenter seen in the clip:

I don’t really know anything about the other names mentioned there (perhaps someone else might know more though) but despite going to all the trouble of making those “Rob said it would be like this!” promos, it seems that Rob Mundle was the weeknight weather presenter on Ten Sydney for less than a year:

Speaking of Nathan Wood, I wonder if @NewsWeary might remember when he started presenting the weather on WIN News in Wollongong? Presumably sometime after the July 1989 disappearance of Ross Warren?

1 Like

Sydney Ten logo…

I thought it was a snowflake?

1 Like

Ten News Goof Tape 1991

Thanks to Trevor Trevalgen (YouTube)
3 Likes

Was this used by ATN7 or ADS7?

ADS7%201966

The Ten team were a bunch of lovable rogues in the 80s and 90s. I was in the Ten newsroom for a couple of years on the late night news at the time - as a teenager. They were rough and tough - few people, including news presenters, as you can see, had any pretensions. I recall that Ron Wilson used to share a small desk with a part-time producer from America. Kerri-Anne and Anne Fulwood also used to have small desks like everybody else in the newsroom (with typewriters, as you can hear in one clip). They were also heavy on the swear words and the drinks after work. And they were the underdog - operating out of a dingy old warehouse in Ultimo at the time. But they were very warm-hearted and open - they were the only station welcoming work experience students at the time.

8 Likes

Good Afternoon Australia 1984

This program became “After Noon” with Katrina Lee and Tony Murphy in 1985. Katrina changed so much in just a few years!

2 Likes

Yeah, I had a sense of the bad vibes at 10 in late 1990 just from watching the station. Even as a kid, it was pretty obvious. After the fanfare of the “Ten Evening News” in January, Ian Leslie only lasted 4 months or so. Then, they had Ron Wilson at the desk for 2 weeks. Then, Eric Walters was quickly hired over. “Sydney with Mike Gibson” had the axe over it. GMA itself was under threat. There was just a sense of crisis.

Strangely enough, though, most of the actual on-air news product looked great. Doesn’t that “Good Morning Australia” opener with that theme look really nice?

2 Likes

By the way, the 1990 goof tape (which I also have at home) is even more “doom and gloom” than that 1991 one!

1 Like

The Making of Play School - too funny

2 Likes

But at the same time, it has to be said that Nine has dramatically modernised it’s On-Air Presentation tactics (especially when it comes to the news service, but in general to some extent) over the last 20 years…

2 Likes

Southern Cross Information Flyer on Aggregation in 1994

13 Likes

Brilliant brochure, thank you for sharing. I got some paraphernalia from Tas TV at the time but very little from Southern Cross.

One of the flyers from Tas TV:

tastv_0001

When I get a chance I’ll scan the reverse side!

8 Likes

How many people actually had rear projection TVs at that point?

I can recall that there was a TAB in Bondi Junction that my dad dragged me into which was a very old, early 1990s CRT based rear projection TV - and this would have been around 2007ish.

1 Like

I remember seeing years later a flyer from Hills Antennas about the move and listing the frequencies across the state for all the new channels and what antennas would be needed, it was sitting in the cupboard with all of the VHS tapes at my parents. Sadly, I think it’s long gone but that was a great read and mentioned about SBS, TasTV and Southern Cross going statewide from April 30.

2 Likes

I had some of the Victorian versions of that brochure I wonder if this is the same template as the Tassie one?

4 Likes

Just dug out the Tas TV ones:

4 Likes

And the rest…

10 Likes

All these Southern Cross and Tas TV aggregation brochures are great - thanks TVAU and hora27fm for posting them! :slight_smile:

Presumably even though Tasmanians were generally well prepared for the arrival of these new TV channels in 1994, Southern Cross still dominated the TV ratings in the North of the state and likewise for Tas TV/WIN in the South for a while afterwards?

1 Like

That is a question for @hora27fm

I’m not sure if ratings were being done at sub market level post aggregation, or if they just reported Tasmania as a whole.

1 Like

Yep, just like that but I’m pretty sure I saw it covered the whole the of the state because it included places like Bicheno who were in the Southern region.