General TV History

Showtime/Encore Lineup

Ident:

3 Likes

Funny was just talking to friends of Stuart Wagstaff over the weekend. A lovely man and very missed.

4 Likes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2rXioTPGEM&t=88s Come a long way to be Agregated LOL. I have been watching the lot of 80’s ident. I like the NQTV.BTV6 and the Queensland Metro Station (Love you Brisbane Ch7 and Stand up and tell them brisbane great on TV O, Idid not mind You’ll love it on Channel 9)

I quite like the Sunshine idents where the 7 logo is just the dot of the I - it makes for a really subtle way of merging the network brand with the local one.

6 Likes

It’s a HUGE logo though.

Maybe STN in a circle in the style of the Seven logo would have been good to see.

Sunshine7 would have sufficed.

2 Likes

When did CTC-7 use this as their station ID? And when exactly did they start using the ‘Super 7’ branding?
CTC7_1975

For some reason it didn’t stay long in this version and they changed the “7” logo to a stylised map of Queensland when they adopted the slogan Love You Queensland

I hated the font though. Looked so old fashioned.

3 Likes

Yes, Peter Cook, Dudley Moore and Dave Allen were famously banned from live television by the Australian Broadcasting Control Board in 1971. On The Dave Allen Show on Channel 9, Cook and Moore said bum and piss, and performed a skit Gospel Truth about the reporting of the birth of Jesus, and according to the ABCB there was a “blatantly offensive reference to homosexuality and masturbation”.

More here, page from a Biography of Peter Cook Biography Of Peter Cook - Estate of Harry Thompson, Harry Thompson - Google Books and a page from a book about Cook and Moore. One Leg Too Few: The Adventures of Peter Cook and Dudley Moore - William Cook - Google Books

Part of the Gospel sketch, as seen in the UK.

3 Likes

Interesting way to introduce South Park: Bigger Longer and Uncut:
(0:09 …dude!)

3 Likes

I have never seen that logo before, and I thought it looked VERY odd… it took me a good 10 seconds to work out that the 2 yellow bits inside the triangle was meant to be a 7 (or at least I think so!).

I MUCH prefer their other logo with the flag and stars.

CTC used that logo from 1974 onwards. They started using the “Super 7” branding from about 1978.

There are ads in The Canberra Times (via Trove archive) that have that logo in 1972 so it may even date back further?

http://logos.wikia.com/wiki/Southern_Cross_Nine

for those that clicked on the link, are the ‘years’ correct?

I just found one an ad on trove in the Canberra Times from 29 January 1973 with said logo used so I stand corrected. I was under the impression that the 7 logo was used from 1974 onwards to coincide with the opening of the Watson studios.

Maybe it was like in 1988 back when CBN8/CWN6/MTN9 were operating as Mid-State Television but at times they screened the Prime ad before it became known formally as Prime Television (in 1989) with RVN2/AMV4 and with NEN9/ECN8 joined around the same time.

First episode of 60 Minutes

3 Likes

This article is from 20 years ago. Both Steve Titmus and Cassy O’Connor have been in the news recently for other reasons. Steve’s daughter, Ariarne, is a triple gold medalist at the Gold Coast Commonwealth Games and Cassy lead the Tasmanian Greens to the State Election in March of this year.

9 Likes

Was this the first logo that CTC-7 used?

CTC%201962-69