General TV History

The first 20 minutes of a 1989 episode of Today.

5 Likes

“Bottler” and “Beaut” on Brian Bury’s weather map…Only in Australia?

Channel Nine from May June 2006:

Lineup:

Promo & Presentation Montage:

3 Likes

Ever since I first saw that package in '06, always thought of Ten from the early noughties.

1 Like

Love this short montage of Today Show openers. The only thing missing for me is Patrice Newell’s brief tenure…

…but here she is anyway…

3 Likes

Old school variety telly at lunchtime - although the format is still the staple on the Tonight Shows today…

2 Likes

Durie looks like a supervillian in that ident. Ew.

1 Like

I had no idea how popular he was in the US until I read that he had his own gardening series on PBS.

I guess that explains why you don’t really see much of him anymore.

2 Likes

Our man is back with more uploads

The Footy Show back in its prime

4 Likes

Might be able to ask our man in the YT comments.

3 Likes

A collection of TEN end boards over the years. I think my favourites are at 1.19m and 1.35m

3 Likes

On this day in 1980, NBC debuted the US version of Number 96.

Despite all the hype about the show and launching it over 3 consecutive nights before settling into a weekly timeslot, it did not go well… it lasted about six weeks.

number96_NBC

Source: TV Guide (US)

2 Likes

1 Like
6 Likes

Wow, that’s an old one!

For the age of the recording, the visual/audio quality is pretty good IMO! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Do TV stations present newsbreaks from newsrooms anymore? In Melbourne all of channels 2, 7, 9 and 10 used to do their newsbreaks from the newsroom but these days from what I see they are mostly done from the main news desk or maybe in front of a green screen to a backdrop of monitors?

Maybe these days they’re too scared of something going on in the background going out over the air :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

ITQ
The Sydney Morning Herald, March 10 1984, page 26
Archived from newspapers.com

I think during Seven afternoon news and The Chaser, Peter Mitchell does updates from the newsroom.

3 Likes

I used to love it when the newsreader would do the afternoon update from the newsroom without a coat on giving the viewer the impression he was hard at work.

2 Likes