General TV History

Now I need at least an explain from this:

wow, check out those production values!

5 Likes

Who’s that? And where’s that? (program name) And is it a snnippet from ident?

Kim Kilbey, former host of Australia’s Funniest Home Videos between 1998-2002.

1 Like

Wasn’t she the host of that show with Greek people on the roof?

Looks like that intro is actually from 2004/05 judging by the match footage.

1 Like

Yeah, I think it was around 2005 (or maybe Late 2004?) they started using that version of the Wide World of Sports Opener.

Also a nice modern sounding (for the time) version of the iconic cricket theme music.

Wasn’t that Effie (Mary Coustas)?

Thought the version with the haka in it was only used 3 times. That year 3 of the Friday night games were Australia vs New Zealand test matches.

Didn’t the Warriors join the ARL in 1995?

Yes they did

1 Like

Channel Nine Lineups 2004-06

Friday, Tuesday & Thursday…

7 Likes

Ahh, Our Place. One for the “great flops of Nine Network history” category with the show only airing for five (could’ve been six if the debut wasn’t delayed due to coverage of Pope John Paul II’s funeral) episodes.

If I’m not mistaken, this short lived Friday night lifestyle/infotainment program was intended to fill the very large gap left after (the infamous, as we now know) Burke’s Backyard was axed in November 2004.

3 Likes

Have videos?

1 Like

Two production end boards in 720p courtesy of 9Now’s uploads of McLeod’s Daughters:

1 Like

Yeah, I’ll be uploading a lot over the holidays, so in about a week or so. The good news is that I have truckloads of these Lineups including Christmas themed, Summer themed etc.

6 Likes

A friend of @Bort’s worked on that show, he may be able to clarify.

1 Like

Heavily involved in production but for reasons unbeknownst, chose to go uncredited.

2 Likes

Another rare piece of early TV history of ATV0 is this snippet from Seven Wonderful Nights, a preview of upcoming shows on ATV0. This show went to air on opening night and was repeated the following afternoon. Hosted by Barry McQueen who was also the channel newsreader.

The set design is quite impressive though simple in its design, formed around the letters “ATV” and seemingly how high the camera was rigged to be able to film it from up above to look down to the “ATV” letters that made up the shape of the set. I’m assuming it was filmed at what was then the new Nunawading studios.

Source: Australian Television Archive

2 Likes

Not only that, but they had at least 3 FNF games that season. Indeed the Friday Night Football games that year were as follows. I’ve also included the likely main 6:30 Sunday Game even though many centres like Brisbane also got a 5:00 package of a Broncos or Crushers home game (or in a couple of instances, North Queensland fans got a Cowboys game) cutting into Sport Sunday, although I’m far from 100% certain those were the actual games covered in many instances.

R1: Auckland vs Brisbane (all 4 new teams were covered, the Crushers were the ABC Saturday Afternoon game, the Cowboys were a Saturday Night game, and the Reds got a late night replay on Sunday with Souths vs Manly being the normal 6:30 replay game)
R2: Brisbane vs Western Suburbs [Sunday: Syd Tigers vs Syd Bulldogs?]
R3: North Sydney vs Manly [Sunday: Sydney City vs Syd Bulldogs?]
R4: Sydney got South Sydney vs Illawarra, Brisbane got Brisbane vs South Queensland, Perth got Western Reds vs Cronulla, 6 days after they played in Sydney [Sunday: St.George vs Syd.Bulldogs]
R5: Auckland vs Manly [Sunday: Canberra vs St.George]
R6: Sydney City vs South Sydney (Good Friday, Perth got the Reds vs the stupidly named Sydney Tigers who reverted to Balmain 2 years later) [Sunday: Syd.Bulldogs vs Canberra, Easter Monday: Brisbane vs St.George]
R7: Brisbane vs Sydney Bulldogs (who reverted to Canterbury a year later) [Sunday: Newcastle vs South Sydney]
R8: Canberra vs Brisbane (Brett Mullins chip and chase try game, Perth got Reds vs Penrith) [Sunday: Syd Bulldogs vs North Sydney]
R9: Country vs City (played in Wollongong) [Sunday: North Sydney vs Canberra]
R10 (SPLIT ROUND, Origin 1 was played Monday Night between the games): Western Suburbs vs Western Reds week 1, North Sydney vs Brisbane week 2 [Sunday Games: Cronulla vs Auckland week 1, Canberra vs Manly week 2]
R11 (SPLIT ROUND, Origin 2 was played the Wednesday between the games at the MCG with the all in at the first scrum): Parramatta vs Sydney Bulldogs week 1, Illawarra vs Canberra week 2 [Sunday Games: Penrith vs Gold Coast Seagulls week 1, Manly vs Brisbane week 2]
R12 (SPLIT ROUND, Origin 3 was played Wednesday between games): Sydney Bulldogs vs Sydney City week 1, St.George vs Newcastle at the Adelaide Oval week 2 (Perth got Reds vs South Sydney) [Sunday Games: Gold Coast Seagulls vs Western Suburbs week 1?, Brisbane vs Illawarra week 2?]
R13: Australia vs NZ 1st Test [Sunday: Newcastle vs Syd Bulldogs?]
R14: Canberra vs Newcastle [Sunday: Syd Bulldogs vs Cronulla]
R15: Australia vs NZ 2nd Test [Sunday: Newcastle vs Brisbane]
R16: Australia vs NZ 3rd Test [Sunday: Manly vs Sydney City?]
R17: Newcastle vs Manly (the game where Chief Harragon knocked himself out trying to send Spud Carroll into last decade, Perth got Reds vs Parramatta) [Sunday: Canberra vs Penrith?]
R18: Manly vs Cronulla (Perth got Reds vs South Queensland, not sure if Brisbane also got that game) [Sunday: Brisbane vs Penrith?]
R19: Western Suburbs vs Brisbane (Perth got Reds vs Sydney City) [Sunday: Cronulla vs Illawarra?]
R20: Sydney Bulldogs vs Auckland [Sunday: Manly vs Penrith?]
R21: Auckland vs Canberra (Perth and most likely NBN Newcastle got Reds vs Newcastle) [Sunday: Gold Coast Seagulls vs Brisbane]
R22: Newcastle vs Cronulla [Sunday: Manly vs South Sydney]

FINALS Wk 1: Newcastle vs North Sydney