General TV History

How long did it take for GWN to come over to Optus B3? Seems like that would have been a pain in the arse for anyone that didn’t own a motorised dish!

Not sure. Had no idea about satellite TV in those days. Mustn’t have been too long after.

It’s weird but, apart from the strange chanting of ‘Tonight’, I kinda love that era of Nine a little more now. There’s something very refreshing about how simple it was. Cinematography of the shots of the diver in the pool is nice too.

2 Likes

Some assorted shots of VPGs over the years, most of these were taken because there was something broken or odd - because otherwise there was really nothing of note on the channels worthy of taking a cap of.

Nine_Guide

11 Likes

I had no idea they were still using local idents as late as that!

1 Like

Yes, I agree. Anyway, I have heaps more lineups from this era and the one before it (2004-2006).

1 Like

Not sure if this actually aired. It was downloaded from the front page of their website, so they probably just added the text on the image.

I remember seeing a video of a Channel Nine Adelaide Ident from that era on YouTube years ago, it wasn’t much more than different text on the end of the standard network Ident IIRC.

With the exception of Summer IDs from Seven Sydney as a “Sydney To Hobart” tie-in in the Late 2000s/2010 and similar one-offs, I think the last time that Seven and Nine here in Sydney regularly aired local Idents was back in 1998. In that instance, the only real localisation was the word “Sydney” under the logo at the end of the network ID:
Channel Seven Sydney - Ident (1998)
Channel Nine Sydney - Ident (1998)

4 Likes

When WIN launched in regional WA back in 1999, they had Today Show, National Nine News (Morning Edition) and the Ten News via NEW-10 from Dianella Studios. Is there any reason why WIN takes Ten News over Nine News in WA?
And WIN WA + Ten West used to screen the Delhi 2010 Games. Why 2 regional channels are allowed to televise the multicultural Games?

Have a read of @TelevisionAU 's article about WIN WA:

That was towards the end of WIN WA’s dual affiliation. Southern Cross and TDT Ten Tasmania also simulcast the Delhi games. WIN WA just used their map for the coverage while TEN West carried the same watermark as metro TEN:

4 Likes

Channel 9 classification

I’d rather prefer the blue and white classification board over The turquoise ones. It was very strange why Channel nine uses turquoise background for the classification. Bob Peters used to do classification voiceovers at Nine before moving to Ten in 2006. I think he used to do voiceover classifications on Channel 10 back in the days.

2 Likes

Channel Nine Adelaide’s websites from 1999-2012
1998-2000:

2001:

2002-05:

2006-2010:

2010-2011:

2012:

3 Likes

but luckily for QTV/Telecasters they are now Southern Cross Seven Central and aligned to Australia’s number one network Seven!

Xin chào! I’m Trần Hoàng Duy, and I’m from Vietnam. I never go to Australia yet, and don’t have Australian nationality. But I love TV archive in here. And I sympathize with everyone are crying when local TV in Aussie came to the end. :(((

1 Like

Dame Edna, celebrity gardener on Burke’s Backyard, 1996. A bit weird.

Ten Sydney 30th Birthday Show as aired in April 1995

7 Likes

This is American TV history, but this is probably the first news ticker ever used on TV - using an actual paper ticker keyed onto the bottom of the screen. Impressive!

6 Likes

and like with Channel 10 in Melbourne the year before, the special was buried on a Saturday afternoon. Pretty much ensuring that nobody would see it.

At least TEN went to some effort with their production (though I’ve not seen the show in its entirety yet), while Brisbane’s effort for TVQ10’s 30th anniversary was a p*** poor cut-and-paste job from Mal Walden’s ATV10 program, including footage and logos from ATV that would have never aired in Brisbane.

1 Like

That was a fairly good special for Ten Sydney’s 30th birthday, especially the showing of some old Station IDs! :slight_smile:

But I do wonder about the current status of their archival material (even stuff from the 1980s and 1990s), knowing there’s since been another studio move and that a lot of footage from the special has been reused for subsequent anniversary programs.

Speaking of that TEN10 special, I was curious at the various “firsts” that they claimed for the channel

First custom-built TV station building in Australia… No. Even its own sister station ATV0 did so beforehand. (ATV also claimed themselves as a first but again it would be a no)
First one-hour news service… No
First double news reading team… No
First to switch to full-time colour… No. In fact a number of TV stations including the ABC all claim to have “accidentally” flicked on the colour burst before midnight on C-Day.

On another topic, the Australian Television Archive has got some very rare gems from the early days of ATV0, including this promo for their first news service, ATV News Report, which was 45 minutes each weeknight to get a 15-minute start on 7 and 9.

But it was a news format that was short-lived. By the following year they’d ditched the regular evening news bulletin format and opted for 5-minute newsbreaks spread throughout the evening.

Source: Australian Television Archive

5 Likes