General TV History

Yep. That’s how I remember it. The bad old days when WIN altered Nine’s schedule during one of many of Dinosaur Bruce’s hissy fits.

1 Like

You know, it’s astonishing how much TV has changed in less than a decade (2008, even 2009, 2010 or 2011) and I’m referring to news and show presenters, let alone the content.

We could probably all combined write a pretty good essay on it!

Got me thinking when I was scanning old YouTube clips the other day, I’m sure some members here own some of the videos too :wink:

1 Like

Bush vs Gore occurred 17 years ago on this day today. How did Australian TV networks covered the 2000 Election

2 Likes

More from my archives…

Seven - Decision on Iraq Promo (2003):

Nine News Update (2003):

Seven - Today Tonight Promo (2003):

Nine - ACA Promo (1996):

Nine News Update (1998):

Nine News Update (1996):

Australia’s Funniest Home Videos Opener (1996):

The famous “Make those bodies sing” commercial (1996):

Ironically, generally, the older the videos, the clearer. The '80s VHS tapes are in SP, the '90s tapes are in LP and the '00s tapes are in EP. Unfortunately, it appears most of the '80s tapes I have have been taped over with newer recordings, with only small sections of the '80s clips at the very end of the VHS tapes.

9 Likes

Network Ten is rolling out its big guns for 2018 tonight.

But at around this time of the year in 1979 it was a different story, with some dubious programming choices being made by its Melbourne Channel 0 which was on the cusp of becoming Channel 10 and creating a new “Ten” network…

although like today the channel’s ownership was even then under a cloud, as Rupert Murdoch was gaining a controlling interest in the channel which was to be rejected by the broadcasting authorities. He fought and eventually succeeded to gain control but it took 2 years to happen.

Source: TV Week

5 Likes

In late October 1993, Nine launched the first version of their now iconic “Who’s Who of News” campaign produced by John Singleton Advertising. I’m sure we’re all familiar with that chirpy jingle used to boost the presenters and reporters of Nine’s news/current affairs programs at a time they were losing market share to Seven.

But here’s something I didn’t know until recently…

Does anyone out there remember (or better yet, have any video of) what the “Get a Better Picture” promos were like? Because admittedly, I’ve never seen anything from this campaign before and previously thought that the 1992 “Watch The World With Us” campaign might’ve been the predecessor to Who’s Who of News.

In any case, the column also notes that such campaigns were handled by the internal promotions department at Nine before they decided to get John Singleton Advertising to produce some promos for Nine.

Another 1990s promotional campaign for Nine which I suspect was a job by the same agency judging by the jingle/music style were the 1994 “Still The One” promos. It wouldn’t have been cheap to produced those, especially since they seemed to film a scene with the kids (who would at least be in their 30s now) collecting a Channel Nine cap from local news presenters in each capital city!

2 Likes

GWN7 50 Years showreel that I don’t think aired. Found it on Vimeo

5 Likes

And the TasTV one also had them getting a Channel Nine cap too. One thing I’ve just noticed which I hadn’t before is in the scene where Tom Payne and John Remess are giving the Nine caps to the kids, the monitors in the background of the news studio have the TasTV logo on them.

1 Like

Just found this from 1999

wmv -_00001

10 Likes

Sad to hear about the death of Rob Astbury, an icon of Australian sports journalism.

He lives on for now via his Youtube channel, full of great memories.

3 Likes

1999 had a very low total at the end of the night comparatively speaking to the totals we’ve seen in recent years - only about $2 Million IIRC.

1 Like
4 Likes

Noticed you uploaded this early this evening. Great find! I’ve got a Southern Cross version of it too. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I hope Ten gets back to some creative promos under CBS. A Couple of my favourites:

6 Likes

Georgie Gardner presenting a Seven News Update in 2000:

9 Likes

Some clips recorded off WIN Illawarra on November 20, 2002.

A Current Affair Closer:

WIN News Illawarra Updates:

Wednesday Lineup and Ident:

4 Likes

I’m sure that probably QSTV (1990-1999 era) was a relay of QTV/Ten QLD

1 Like

Do you have video of this?

Gosh 7’s news promos were so much better then.

Here it is.

1 Like