General TV History

Only news footage on YouTube about his death. The GOAT of Australian motorsport. His death came just 4 days after Steve Irwin.

1 Like

It was actually pitched as The Sound Of Music but instead of Julie Andrews, he got Nanny Fine. Fran has also often referenced her love of old sitcoms and how they influenced the style of the show. I think it resembles Here’s Lucy a lot - set, setups, etc.

1 Like

A look back to the Mexican Earthquake of September 1985 on TVQ 0 News featuring Kay McGrath.

2 Likes

29 years ago today, the last day for TV0. Just after midnight it switched to Brisbane Ten.

This was the Olympics-themed flyer to advise on re-tuning sets to Channel 10:

Tvqol-1Tvqol-2Tvqol-3
Tvqol-4
Tvqol-5
Tvqol-6

It also then happened to be the last day for nearby Vision TV to be broadcasting on DDQ10. From midnight it was still Vision TV but transmitting on DDQ0

Vtv0-1Vtv0-2Vtv0-3Vtv0-4Vtv0-5Vtv0-6

10 Likes

Why did they refer it to as “Brisbane Ten”?

“Ten Brisbane” sounds better to me.

Don’t know the answer to that I’m afraid.

1 Like

Probably wouldn’t have worked with their new jingle “Ten, Brisbane Style”.

This was the changeover and Brisbane Ten jingle first seen after the switch. The movie that night was 10.

1 Like

From 1986

Seems this debate comes up again periodically

3 Likes

and speaking of SBS test patterns, here is a youtube clip courtesy of “FLEMISHDOG” of part of the list of SBS channel locations in 1990. It seems strange that Khancoban got SBS then but Albury (where Khancoban gets its ABC and commercial channels from) didn’t have it until around 1996. Also Nymagee (a tiny town in Western NSW near Cobar) got an SBS transmitter. The only regional Victorian town that got SBS then was Swan Hill. By 1992 all regions of Victoria with the exception of Shepparton/Goulburn Valley and Albury had SBS transmitters on air. Shepparton did not get SBS until 2001, I believe they were the last market to get it on air in the rollout, the reason why Shepp didn’t get it in 1992 was because the then Keating government deemed that the service area population (around 70,000 - the smallest three-network market in Australia and the same size as solus markets such as Mildura and Griffith!) was not big enough to warrant an SBS service. Many small towns got SBS transmitters long before Shepparton did! As I said before and will say again, had it not been for Bendigo channels being receivable, Shepp would have been a solus market. Anyhow here’s the video listing SBS frequencies:

2 Likes

As today is the 16th anniversary of 9/11, this is the first report by an Australian TV network on the attacks.

Sandra Sully was the main presenter of Ten Late News during that night

3 Likes

Some towns had their own self-funded transmitters. So if they (“they” meaning probably the council) had the $$$ the town could get a transmitter.

Technically it was. Not everyone had fortuitous coverage of BCV8 or AMV4. Where we used to be we only could get BCV8 in certain conditions and even then the picture was never as good as GMV.

1 Like

They had half-hour blocks of the satellite image and classical music for a while there, didn’t they?

Although I’ve not seen Worldwatch for a long time, they may still do the music and satellite pictures in between the various news bulletins.

Fairly sure the music and pictures of foreign cities was the final incarnation of Weatherwatch. I don’t think they do it anymore because all their channels are 24 hours with overnight gaps filled with foreign news bulletins.

And there was the time that Weatherwatch rated 10th in the ratings with 527,000 viewers…
http://www.news.com.au/national/breaking-news/eurovision-well-worth-it-for-sbs/news-story/a13d0a8abcb4fd8861bdac58fdea0e52

2 Likes

I get the feeling that this year would be the quietest amount of coverage since the event with all the news being about Hurricane Irma and Florida and the timing of it, it’s slipped under the radar quite a bit.

I think the Weatherwatch sort of merged with EarthTV showing the various webcams around the world which also included weather information around the world for a while.

1 Like

WEATHERWATCH! I knew it was something completely obvious, but couldn’t remember what it was for the life of me.

It’s also not a very big anniversary. 2021 will be huge though. I also think it’s kinda receding from the public’s consciousness now.

3 Likes

Definitely. Even in previous years though where it hasn’t been a significant one it’s still rating quite a few mentions on the news. Last year was big with 15 years and 2021 will definitely be too. Will be interesting what happens next year too if it’s relatively quiet otherwise.

1 Like

September 11 is certainly a significant date in American television history. Dan Rather controversially walked off the set off the CBS Evening News on that date 30 years ago causing dozens of affiliate stations to go black for almost seven minutes. Rather was upset that a US Open women’s semi-final tennis match cut into his airtime. The incident dogged him for years after with the broadcast stuck in third place for the rest of his tenure and a Vice President bringing it up in a testy exchange during an interview.

I’d like CBS to know that when they finally gain control of Ten, many NSW viewers will have no problem with them broadcasting seven minutes of dead air during the evening news each weeknight from about 5.53pm.

14 Likes