General TV History

BBC News coverage in the UK

1 Like

Brisbane used an excerpt from the local bulletin (below) followed by Anne Sanders.

3 Likes

Wasn’t too long before the new BBC logo was introduced either.

Some other images from Australian TV from that day.

2 Likes

The Guardian article linked here and discussed extensively a while back on TV Forum noted how the BBC will merge all the BBC channels domestically and globally for the announcement and coverage thereafter of the Queen’s death. Did the same thing happen in 1997? Was BBC World simulcasting the same coverage as BBC One and Two?

1 Like

News from around the world

ITV News

Sky News

NBC News

need reply about things behine people… (this one is from 1971)ITQ8

3 Likes

The last segment of The Front Bar on Channel Seven tonight mentioned The Great TV Game Show which aired on Ten in 1989. It was hosted by Richard Stubbs and Jane Holmes, and Andy Maher was part of The Castaways team. I did not realise Andy had worked in TV for so long! This is the original clip, part of which was shown tonight:

I’m not sure being a game show contestant really counts as “worked in TV” :wink:

2 Likes

Pretty sure he wasn’t “working in television” back then, just looks like a contestant. Bit like Stephen Hall was on Temptation.
Think he first appeared on the Optus Vision channel Sports AFL, late 90s.

National Nine News: Princess Diana’s Funeral Coverage 20 Years ago today:

7 Likes

Seven was airing CNN, which was simulcasting GMTV, the breakfast TV franchise of ITV. :dizzy_face::stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

The late Peter Luck hosting the first program on SBS “Who Are We?”

3 Likes

Can’t believe it’s been nearly 40 years since Channel 0/28 began transmission.

2 Likes

Good night, Peter Luck.

4 Likes

Almost identical set to the US version with Bill O’Reilly.

RIP Peter Brock 11 years ago today.

7 Likes

Peter Brock died in 2006, which was the 11th anniversary of his death.

Last week I watched a few episodes of The Lucy Show on YouTube, and happened to stumble across an episode of The Nanny on 111. It had never occurred to me before that the Fran Fine character was maybe a down market rehash of Lucy’s characters, but while Lucille Ball played her mayhem inflicted roles with innocent class, Fran is a trailer trash pale imitation.

He was a top bloke, knew him personally. A great was lost that day.