General TV History

“No Mr Snoop Dogg, I will not ‘drop it like it’s hot’ because your performance was abysmal! And what kind of degenerates are associating with when you talk about pimps in the crib? Are you truly letting stand over men and prostitutes in the same room as your baby? I award you no points and hope you are a “Dogg” that gets put down quickly”

4 Likes

before the days of centralised playouts and MediaHubs. When each station did much their own thing. In the 1980s only Nine seemed to be fairly consistent between Melbourne and Sydney, whereas 7 and 10 varied a lot between those two cities.

how long before they realised that blue was not a good presentation for the logo??

1 Like

I don’t think that exact version was ever seen again :slight_smile:

1 Like

ABC-3 logo from 1992…I guess this was when they were converting stations to UHF to free up the FM band and this was left on to remind viewers to switch to UHF?

(from [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVHcyGpbNA0])

2 Likes

I would say it is from one such conversion though not sure it was ABC3 from Canberra as they didn’t shift signal (to Channel 9) until about 1995.

Edit: Looking at that Youtube member, they have old ads from Toowoomba, suggesting that the above clip may have been from ABDQ3 Toowoomba which converted to Channel 32 IIRC.

1 Like

Going by Trove’s archived editions of The Canberra Times, it was in mid-1995 that ABC-TV switched their main transmission for Canberra from VHF-3 to VHF-9.

It seems that some viewers were confused about the ABC being broadcast on “Channel 9” at the time as well:

1 Like

A couple of regional TV uploads 1988

NRTV promo for Neighbours

9-8 Television station ident

7 Likes

The Neighbours episode being trailed is Episode 720, TX’d by Ten on Friday 6th May 1988. I’m not sure if NRTV were still behind Ten with Neighbours by this point - aggregation was still a few years away. I’m not even sure if all five Metro O/10s were in sync with Neighbours in 1988, but I suspect so.

1 Like

Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane and Adelaide would have all been in sync as they all started Neighbours on the same day in 1986.

But Perth definetly wasn’t. When NEW10 debuted it had “inherited” a significant backlog from when 7 ran the series there. Ten ended up running double episodes from 6.30 for a while to catch up, but with Home And Away at 7.00 topping the ratings in Perth Neighbours struggled, even though it was the top rating show on the eastern states.

3 Likes

That episode was also broadcast on NRTV on Friday 6 May 1988.

Line-up: (Across Australia was Regional TV short program for the bi-centennial)

6 Likes

TV history fans should check out this morning’s Studio 10 on tenplay; lots of archive vision of IMT, Bert etc

6 Likes

A very Ten look of the time!

1 Like

Which states got this? I don’t remember much about it.

6 Likes

Saturday Morning Live was Sydney based but was shown in Melbourne as well. Not sure about other locations. It was a replacement for Sounds which ended in 1987.

5 Likes

With rugby league, did Canberra get Raiders matches, even after aggregation started? same thing with Brisbane for Broncos matches, Newcastle for Knights matches, etc.

I was reminded of Sounds last week when I heard Love Unlimited Orchestra ~ Love’s Theme on 4KQ.

1 Like

this one I guess would be the PRG for SAS 10 Adelaide. Pot Luck was produced at their then studios in the Adelaide inner suburb of Gilberton. This was shown in SAS’s final year as a Ten affiliate before changing to Seven by the end of 1987, which may be the reason why Pot Luck did not go to a second series the following year. But I guess the main reason would have been it was awful!

1 Like

It’s 9-8 Television Tamworth, Childhood memories right there & Jono & Dano’s show was out of ATN 7 in Sydney & replaced Donnie Sutherlands Sounds

3 Likes

Yes, both Capital and WIN aired some Raiders games that weren’t shown in Sydney
Some examples

• Brisbane v Canberra was sometimes shown in those cities on Ten/Capital on a Sunday night whilst Sydney showed a different game.
  • When playing the Illawarra Steelers, Capital (and possibly WIN) would show the match in both Wollongong and Canberra.
  • When playing the Newcastle Knights, WIN would team with NBN to cover that game. On one occasion, Rex Mossop was the commentator!

This was mostly in the late 80s or early 90s. Very little of this occurred from after 1994 or thereabouts.

1 Like

Stumbled upon this today. As some of you might know, Fox’s branding in the late 90s was primarily green. It was only a matter of time…
received_10209925039298773

4 Likes