General TV History

Another thing I just remember, Tasmania also received the live 7.30pm broadcast of Friday Night AFL via Southern Cross when Seven regained the rights in 2007. Whereas I’m pretty sure Melbourne and the other states had the 1-hour delay at 8.30pm (this was due to Seven preferring to air Better Homes & Gardens at 7.30pm unlike SC which opted not to). The only time where it was live in the other states was when being played in WA I think? And unlike Seven and Ten, we also had the broadcasts ad-break free goal to goal via Southern Cross all the way up until a few years ago.

1 Like

What I am trying to say twelve years later under WIN we suffered with disgusting cover ups that maybe VIC TV would maybe never have force on it viewers!

From what I understand, NSW extended daylight saving that year due to power shortages in the state at the time. The ACT also went back at the same time as Victoria that year so NSW was ahead of Canberra by one hour for a month.

1 Like

Yep, Tasmania had the best AFL coverage arrangement I think. They never had the ads after goals until Southern Cross became the sole broadcaster again after Ten lost the rights. It was definitely great hvaing live Friday night AFL though which the other states didn’t get.
When TDT also had games, TDT either had them delayed or replaced so Southern Cross could have them live or in later years they had them but with the ads after goals and Southern Cross advertised the fact that they had “no annoying ads after goals”.

1 Like

Clause in the contract to reinstate ads after goals now??

Southern Cross Tasmania had the Saturday Afternoon and Saturday Night AFL in 2007-2011 when TEN had the rights back then. SC TAS was a (Channel 7/Channel 10) affiliate back then. 2007 AFL Grand Final was also screened via SC TAS.
In Regional WA - WIN telecasted the Friday Night AFL, Saturday Arvo Footy, Sat Night AFL and Sunday Arvo Footy when Nine and TEN got the rights. WIN WA was a dual Nine/TEN affiliate back then. At the end of 2006 when Nine lost the AFL rights to 7, WIN still televised the AFL at Saturdays. GWN televised Friday Nights and Sunday Arvo

1 Like

Win/Ten affiliate ended in 2010 when Ten West launched

A rare station ID from HSV7 circa 1970. Courtesy of dontv3192.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wU1Zciz8Lg

And in relation to that… “Bugga Off”

HSV 7 Christmas reel

Yes, we’re aware SCTV was a dual Seven/Ten affiliate up until 2011 which gave them access to Ten’s AFL broadcasts as well.

He meant when SCTV and TDT10 both had the rights in the state due to Ten having the rights during that period, obviously. But when Ten lost the rights so did TDT10, which meant SC has since become the sole broadcaster with Seven since 2012.

Southern Cross also enforced a 1-2-hour delay on the Grand Final Day build-up along with the game itself on TDT (which meant on this occasion TDT ‘went it alone’ with no feed “switch” as all the other states had it live as well). This also meant some of the evening schedule from Ten on TDT on Grand Final Day was entirely skipped over to make up the time on the initial delay.

I’m pretty sure this delay also applied to OneHD in the later years. I found this really annoying in particular, as it had the extra GF post-game content that Tassie completely missed out on because SC never bothered to air it and they instead went to the local news and then went back to Seven’s schedule that night.

We also missed out on Before The Game for many years because SC didn’t air it and it was removed from TDT’s schedule too.

2 Likes

True. We only got BTG either by mistake or if a weird schedule anomaly allowed it on TDT. I think Southern Cross usually aired it at least once during the regular season. Strangely though, I think they did air the Grand Final eve edition of it every year though.

SC did however air the ‘The Fifth Quarter’ (which commonly followed Ten’s Saturday AFL coverage at 10pm) consistently though. This was followed by the must-see delayed Big Brother Uncut for late night viewers! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adEcN3FdVj0

Let’s All Be There slogan (used by NBC in 1985) plus a show which is binned to history.

NBC version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z51aqI66SDY

WIN WA had a simulcast coverage of NEW10 Perth’s Saturday Night football. This image was different to the one ten used.
Ten West launched in Mid-2010 with West digital Television simulcasting via new-10, although WIN WA still telecasted the AFL right through to 2011. The reasons why WIN and ten west simulcasted the AFL was where many parts of WA cannot get Ten west channel.

5 Likes

Channel 10 Special edition of First at Five News Hour from 20 years ago today. Sandra Sully is there as Stuart Diver is successfully pulled alive from the wreckage live during the news covers the more than 60 hours after being buried. Includes a nice TEN ident.

Video

7 Likes

A thought I had going through the Classic TV Listings thread.

Who are the longest continuing, regular hosts/personalities on Australian TV now? Tragically we’ve lost a few big names from the early days of television over the past decade or so.

Peter Hitchener and Bruce Paige are two of the longest serving TV personalities I can think of, can anyone beat their record?

Denise Drysdale has been on and off TV since the late 1950s when she appeared as a child on The Happy Show

9 Likes

Contender for longest in the same job right now would be ABC News Victoria’s Ian Henderson - been reading at 7pm since 1992.

Sandra Sully’s been reading at Ten since 1991.

2 Likes

Rick Ardon and Sussanah Carr from Seven News Perth have been presenting as a duo regularly since 1985, and on their way to beating the World Record for longest surviving News Duo, but I think Rick has been at Seven a bit longer than Sue has, as she was at ABC Radio before Seven picked her up.

5 Likes