General TV History

With all the recent technical problems with news recently, it reminded me of November 2011 when the Saturday edition of Weekend Sunrise did not make it to air. The computer system (and backup) controlling playout of stories crashed. It was decided that it wasn’t worth trying to put a show to air.

News report on fault

On the Sunday there was a “relaunch” of the show.

8 Likes

Doing some research at the State Library for a blog post to come, I found this sales advert for TVQ0 in Brisbane in a 1976 copy of B&T magazine:

And this ad for Tasbuy (TVT6/TNT9) featuring a TNT9 logo I’d never seen before:

3 Likes

HSV7’s Nine O’Clock News which ran over a number of summers, was publicised as a summer offering, and it was stated that it provided an opportunity for people to catch the news they missed (at 6.30) while making the most of the early evening sunshine.

Only 3 weeks late, Channel 7!

5 Likes

Bloody Alf at HSV!

1 Like

4 posts were merged into an existing topic: Classification

I loved the old channel 0 logo…

1 Like

Just being a little random here perhaps, but all this talk about cricket rights and the on field happenings has me trying to think about who over the 40 years of cricket on Channel 9 has called some action over the years. The list is by no means comprehensive so perhaps some of the gaps may be filled. ITALICS denote RIP.

AUSTRALIAN
Richie BENAUD, Bill LAWRY, Ian CHAPPELL, Mark TAYLOR, Ian HEALY, Michael CLARKE, James BRAYSHAW, Simon O’DONNELL, Greg CHAPPELL, Shane WARNE, Rodney MARSH, Max WALKER, Keith STACKPOLE, Michael WHITNEY, Geoff LAWSON, Kate FITZPATRICK (a short lived experiment in the early 80s), Brett LEE, Michael SLATER, Michael HUSSEY, Doug WALTERS

INTERNATIONAL
Tony GREIG, Kevin PIETERSEN, Mark NICHOLAS, Tony COZIER, Sunil GAVASKAR, Ian SMITH, Sir Richard HADLEE, Geoff BOYCOTT, Mike ATHERTON, Sir Ian BOTHAM, David LLOYD, Michael VAUGHAN, Frank TYSON, Fred TRUEMAN, Bob WILLIS, Michael HOLDING, David GOWER, WAQAR Younis

DOMESTIC COVERAGE
Brad McNAMARA, Kerry O’KEEFFE, Darren BERRY

WOMEN’S T20
Mel JONES, Lisa STHELAKAR

The AV15+ allowed a higher level of violence than what the MA15+ rating permitted. Sort of a middle ground between R18+ and MA15+ for violence.

A few others off top of my head Adam Gilchrist, Greg Ritchie

Kinda… essentially, MA15+'s permitted violence level was exactly the same as for M, with anything that would normally be rated “MA” for violence was instead assigned “AV”.

Only reason it was there was to push violent movies and series back half an hour (from 9:00pm to 9:30)… now they can be shown again at 9pm if a movie - still a limit for MA-rated films enshrined in the Broadcasting Services Act - or 8:30 otherwise.

ABC never used the AV rating it because their Code of Practice restricted MA programming to 9:30pm already, and SBS’ codes called the rating “MAV” instead but more-or-less had the same rules around it.

1 Like

Pretty sure Dennis Commetti (whilst at 9) and Kim Hughes did some out of Perth.

As an aside, I remember Sports Australia (Optus Vision) showing STW9’s coverage of Sheffield Shield in the late 1990s. Can anyone from WA elaborate on what was shown on 9 at the time?

Dennis certainly did.

I’m surprised this one hasn’t been posted yet.

An introduction/launch clip to Capital 7 Canberra’s 1983 “Look At Us” Station Branding. Clip includes a look at a few of their previous IDs before the full version of the then new one:

Thanks to Graeme Kelley for the upload! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

From the 1956-57 annual report from the Australian Broadcasting Control Board.

This is a provisional plan for TV frequencies. Interesting that even then they tentatively assigned channel 10 for the major capital cities… although on an earlier page they do make the comment that Channel 10 may end up getting used by regional operators (which became true) but that Channels 4 or 5 could potentially be used for a third commercial channel in the major capitals (which didn’t).

And even 4 channels were pencilled in for Hobart but Darwin and the Northern Territory doesn’t even crack a mention. Probably not all that surprising given that in 1957 not even commercial radio was operating there.

Of course this frequency plan varies enormously from what would eventuate, particularly as Channels 0, 5A and 11 were added to the dial from 1961 which changed allocations a lot.

3 Likes

Provisions for stations in both Geelong & Colac… of which neither ever got any. Any other markets on that list that never saw local stations and/or repeaters?

The Blue Mountains in NSW, which is covered by the Sydney metropolitan stations (or maybe the NSW Central West stations to the West of the region?).

Burnie and Devonport listed for channels although they did get translator services years later.

And Gwydir River/Moree and Macleay-Hastings which look like they were replaced by Grafton-Kempsey (the market covered by NRN11)

1 Like

Bundaberg listed separately to Wide Bay - both at 100kw

Interesting the channel numbers listed there are for 5 and 9 for Burnie and Devonport and Launceston has 7 and 10. In reality the 9 for the north-west coast became the one for the entire North and there was 3 for the ABC.

You’d think just going through that process trying to allocate channels to all the markets would be enough to get them to start integrating UHF into their planning from the beginning.