General TV History

Wow that reminds me of some of the crap on the ‘Random Mocks’ thread! :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Yep, it’s real unfortunately…

I don’t think I’ve seen a TV station do a DAYTIME lineup signpost in years, if ever!

I thought it was only a glorified test pattern while the HD channel was in between programs.

Only a couple of years after Radelaideans first discovered fire*, the city is without power. Here’s a trip down memory lane to a similar event:

*now is the optimum time to throw chat

3 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Classic TV Listings

Some fascinating recollections of early Australian television from callers on ABC Nightlife tonight. Dom’s guest doing a great job, too!

As Lee Lin Chin would say “Who is that handsome…?”

But the guest had a bit of stage fright I think :wink:

7 Likes

Was listening on the way home from work (when they weren’t cutting in for flood updates!) and thought I’d mention it here when I got home, then I heard them mention the web address at the end and thought there’d be others here onto it! Was great to listen to.

2 Likes

Thanks guys

Listening to it now. Very good!

1 Like

gosh I miss David Johnston

2 Likes

How often did something like this happen back in the old days before credit squeeze/accelerated flow? I know Nine and ABC used to dub credits, but I don’t ever recall hearing something like this:

Love the (intentional or unintentional) jab at Ten’s slogan at the end there.

5 Likes

Only when they did double header movies on Saturdays, at least on the year noted.

PRG using Seven’s colour circle logo

5 Likes

Was that an animated one where the circle spins around for 5 seconds or so before the 7 is revealed?

No - far too sophisticated for the time - the 7 circle pops up , then the show title.

There is a white spinning circle 7 logo PRG that ATN 7 used in the early 80s.
I’ll see if I can find it on YouTube.

Surprising as it may seem but none of the Melbourne channels had branched out into colour or animated PRGs until around 1990 when Channel 10 added colour to the 10 TV Australia logo.

It was even more surprising for Melbourne given that regional channels like GMV6 and BCV8 were animating their PRG logos from as far back as the early 1980s:

YouTube: djdpower

Even ATN7 was doing animation as far back as 1978:

YouTube: marcelo bowie

Although one year Seven lashed out during AFL (or VFL) Grand Final week and featured the flags of the two teams on either side of the ‘7’ logo.

3 Likes

TVO’s PRG was animated

Edit: later versions were blue

4 Likes