General TV History

Same with the British Open

1 Like

Due to time difference?

I know, it’s been mentioned online by yours truly a few times before. But today marks seven years since this:

Since re-discovering the recording and realising it was indeed that Jackson family a few years ago, I’ve sometimes wondered if anyone who was working in the Willoughby newsroom back then (especially those who are still there now) ever thinks back to this news report appearance whenever they see The Jacksons on Gogglebox.

Either way, it’s probably my favourite bit of “before they were famous” TV footage from recent years! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Clearly KP’s influence didn’t extend to the All England Club or the R&A to allow prime time coverage on GTV and TCN starting at sparrow’s GMT.

I’ve uploaded the rare Capital Television Ident from May 1989 onto Archive.Org. The video on YouTube had been privatised for over six months (it has since been made public as well), so it’s available to watch again. :slight_smile:

I have also uploaded all of my Nine News Sydney bloopers that I have managed to record over the years. I can remember reading in the “Nine News Content & Appearance” thread a few days ago that most of the bloopers on YouTube are no longer available, so it’s something I decided to do.

5 Likes

I do like Nine’s 2002-2006 on air look with the Seven colours for Seven Days Package used right up until the “warehouse” look was launched.

and in the first split second there’s a “TEN” logo for the tail end of the War And Remembrance promo. Capital mustn’t have got around to customising those :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

The “CAPITAL TV” branding seemed to be only used during local promos, idents and news, #myfriend

1 Like

ATV0’s Dancing Mouse station id, circa 1976.

1 Like

Clips from Channel Nine Perth: 25/11/2004

Lineups:

Special Event Ident:

Feel Good Summer Promo:

Promo Montage:

7:30pm Newsbreak with Sonia Vinci:

8pm Weather Update with Natalia Cooper:

9pm Newsbreak with Sonia Vinci:

5 Likes

The inconsistency of the newsbreak openers is bizarre, one with the new package and the other (dodgy looking) one with the old package. And one with the cowbell theme and another with the regular theme. Presumably the newer update opener was made in Melbourne based on the use of that theme?

That ‘special event’ ident is a good find as well.

7 Likes

Natalia Cooper is now in Sydney after a brief stint on rival network TVW-7

1 Like

Nine Perth probably did a poorly customised version of the previous network news graphics in 2004 because their graphics equipment wasn’t quite up to the task of playing out all elements in the flashy network look while at the same time, not wanting to do a scaled back version like Adelaide did?

Their 2005 graphics package for National Nine News Perth made out of elements from the 2002 National Nine News promo graphics package looked better, but of course still not quite as good as the package used on the network bulletins at the time IMO.

Probably.

If my memory serves me correctly, Melbourne-produced National Nine Newsbreak Sponsor Openers with the “cowbell” theme were used across the network during 2003, 2004 and 2005.

Like many of the brilliant graphics on Nine at the time, it was produced by Graham Cousens as part of a concept (which like a lot of presentation elements from the network during this era, probably should’ve lasted longer IMO) where specially themed Idents would be played before specific hit shows:

As per the clip, there appeared to be versions for Millionaire, CSI, CSI Miami, Merrick & Rosso, Comedy Inc, RPA/BodyWork and Friday Night Football along with Special Event Idents for all seven days. Would’ve been cool to see the concept expanded with things like a shorter “Movies” Ident, I think.

6 Likes

I would have thought that Chris Brown, Perth Channel 9 voiceover does the lineups for the shows. But on the east coast (Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane and even Adelaide), they have the voiceovers like Ken Sparkes, and Bob Peters doing the lineups.

STW9 Perth was previously operated by Sunraysia TV at that time. this meant that Nine Perth had different on-air presentation news openers. What is interesting was that Ken Sparkes didn’t do the voiceover for National Nine News Opener. Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane and even Adelaide had the Ken Sparkes voiceover for National Nine News.

@SydneyCityTV Channel Nine Perth does the sponsor billboard a little bit different to Melbourne’s versions with the music. I would have thougth that Perth had the old music of the sponsor billboard in the Aug 2004-Jan 2006 package. In Perth there would have been 3 voiceovers for sponsor billboards (Steve Britten, Bob Peters and Chris Brown)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xe0iUswgw7M - This is taken from Nine Melbourne in 2005, with Steve Britten as v/o.

The TCN-produced Early/Morning/Afternoon/Nightline bulletins used John Martin voiceovers for bulletin openers (as did Brisbane & Adelaide), but Sydney’s 6pm news didn’t use Opening VOs until the 2006 relaunch. Heck, I don’t think Nine even made regular use of name supers at the start of Sydney 6pm bulletins until Brian Henderson retired!

Ken Sparkes only really did the “Sydney’s Leading Hour of News & Current Affairs” Promos and Special Report Promos for National Nine News Sydney at 6pm during the 2004-06 era of presentation, I think.

2 Likes

I was referring with Nine News Perth not having Ken Sparkes as v/o with the 6pm opener. Most of the time, Chris Brown does voiceovers for openers of National Nine News Perth, lineups, sponsor billboards, and promos for STW9.

And when she left Perth for the big smoke, another ex-STW personality took her place (Angela Tsun). If you can’t beat them, join them.

Natalia Cooper also had a brief stint presenting weather on Nine News Sydney when Amber Sherlock went on maternity leave in 2014. With Sophie Walsh moving to London next month, Cooper is the only realistic chance of succeeding either Amber or Belinda on weather on Nine News Sydney.

4 Likes

“Let’s all be There” slogan used by 7 in the 80s

2 Likes

The 80s was a tough period for Channel Seven as a whole, IIRC.

Once, Seven News Melbourne recorded a total audience figure of - wait for it - 0.

Yep, zero.

6 Likes

It was my favourite Seven era… The “All The Best” and “Watch Us Now” IDs on ATN-7 Sydney had me glued to the telly when they were on.

2 Likes