General TV History

Channel 7 Olympic Promo 2000 (ripped from DVD and upscaled).

1 Like

Not sure.
I know Today Extra did beat TMS for a week in 2016, when Today Extra beat TMS nationally for the first time:

SInce 2007, with the launch of The Morning Show with Larry Emdur and Kylie gillies, Seven was strong over Mornings with Kerri-Anne (9) and 9am with David and Kim (10). 9am with David and Kim struggled since 2006 where it languished about 56k viewers nationally.

If I’m not mistaken, a variant of that music was also used for Seven’s Sydney 2000 Olympics coverage Sponsor Billboards.

Hard to believe that promo is almost two decades old.

4 Likes

It’s even on the ticker on the side of the 7 building in Adelaide - “7 News, No 1 … Always”

A post was merged into an existing topic: Seven On-Air Presentation 2000-2002

but the Seven show still won in both the league cities and the City of Churches.

A rare win for Nine in the west; that year, they also won a week in Perth during non-ratings.

2 Likes

Rare Neighbours “20th Anniversary” promo DVD from 2005.

6 Likes

Our Place went as Quickly as
Eat Loose Live did Back in 2005

1 Like

Seems a long time ago.

2011 - Today was about to end Sunrise’s reign as Australia’s no.1 and Karl won the gold Logie. 10 exits AFL coverage with 7 and Fox winning the AFL rights. Foxtel announced it will revive its Fox Footy Channel the following year. 4 million people watched Wills and Kate’s wedding on a Friday night.

What a year in TV that was.

4 Likes

A cap of National Nine News Sydney from 2004 with Mark Ferguson. Shown on Decades last night.

14 Likes

If I’m not mistaken, there was a slight update to the look of National Nine News (at least in the East Coast markets) on August 30, 2004 - obviously made in response to Seven News’ relaunch & move to Martin Place.

This included the introduction of chroma keyed sets with the globe element added onto the liveshot, new OTS graphics, curved supers for the Opener/Break Playouts, the globe element added to the standard supers (name, reporter, etc.) and tweaks to the full screen/live cross graphics.

Don’t know whether Sydney’s flashy weather graphics were introduced in 2004 or 2005, but there’s something else which was changed prior to 2006.

2 Likes

If I were to take a stab, I’d say the news story was about the arrest of Schapelle Corby which was at the end of 2004.

3 Likes

Found this today. NSW Labor leader candidate Jodi McKay breaking the news of the 9/11 Attacks to NBN News readers at 11pm on that night.

NBN simulcasted ABC America before joining the Nine Network National coverage at 1am and into the next day. Smart thinking from the control room flicking the switch to ABC News America and Peter Jennings for NBN News viewers.

Nine’s National coverage had Jim Waley on Nightline with Robert Penfold reporting in Washington.

4 Likes

Some more Perth TV captures:

12 Likes

On the screencap of channel nine Perth PRG it says Perth Delayed telecast with a PG classification I don’t get it why they have this on the screen.

1 Like

to give context that the show is not live. I know NEW10 also used to do it when broadcasting national news bulletins from the east coast on delay.

8 Likes

Do you know what’s the name of the program on that delayed telecast?

1 Like

a question for @Zampakid

1 Like

Getaway: Win The Lot (Season Final).

4 Likes