General TV History

You’d think the commissioning editor would have taken a few moments to google the author’s name. That should have been enough to have the article rejected.

It’s embarrassing for the ABC and is the sort of thing that the corporation should be held accountable for.

1 Like

I happen to own a Channel Nine promo disc given away with TV Week in 2008. This is the disc:

And this is the menu and opening:

As i can recall the episodes opened with a classification screen.

3 Likes

Ten’s Summer Lineup + PRG from January 2006.

3 Likes

The now defunct logo.

On NYE they used the Ten Sport logo for the Midnight fireworks

Prime documentary on Newcastle from 1997:

Some discussion in the Sky News are of a (in)famous incident where it was alleged - in this case by Derryn Hinch - that Mike Willessee was drunk. “I’m Derryn Hink, and I’m sober.”

1 Like

I found a Sydney + Wollongong channel surfing video I put together 10 years ago (June 2008):

Some observations:

• Features several channels that are no longer broadcasting on FTA: Digital 4 Guide, TVS, World News Channel, Digital 44 guide, ABC News/Sport/Weather, Channel NSW, ACC, Expo, 7 VPG, 9 VPG, House of Representatives, Senate
  • Looks like this was during the period of breakaway HD channels (e.g. Ten HD)
  • Some HD channels still showing loops when no native HD programming is on (e.g. SCT HD)
  • I think ABC HD switched to a VPG during late night? (Or was it when there was no native HD programming?)
  • WIN were already doing ugly cover-up opaque watermarks

Note that the recordings were done over the course of the day and not in real-time one channel after another.

8 Likes

Great clip.

By any chance do you have any more screencaps/video (aside from the clip of the LCN-41 “News Sport & Weather From the ABC” that’s already on your channel) of the old D44 Trial services in your collection? If so it’d be great to see some uploads but if not, that’s OK! :slight_smile:

ABC HD switched to the VPG in lieu of local programming because they didn’t have the compacity to do local HD services at the time. Although towards the end, I think the pre-News 24 ABC HD did simulcast local programming from the Sydney feed.

ABC2 was the digital channel which used to run the VPG as an overnight filler.

I enjoyed this What I like About You jingle when it comes to summer programs on TEN.

1 Like
1 Like

They also had this What I Like About You jingle that was being played during the Summer non-ratings period 2006-07. Back in 2006, Southern Cross TEN used its own logo for idents. Eight years later, Southern Cross TEN stopped using its own logo for idents and replaced with the TEN branding as of 2015.

National Nine News Perth from 2007:
Weather Graphics:

Closer:

3 Likes

Not the Australian stuff but here’s the world’s shortest closedown sequence for all time ever, #myfriends:

(EDIT: I know that you might don’t know well about Brazilian TV, but which feed was that, #myfriends (@TelevisionAU) ??? (I guess it’s Sao Paulo)

They would closedown for 2 - 3 hours during Saturday and Sunday morning during wee hours. Now it’s filled with repeats/religous stuff.)

1 Like

Yikes…those weather graphics! :confused:

1 Like

The weather graphics were rough for several years to come, it took them a long time to get VizRT. The virtual set from that era was pretty damn horrendous as well.

2 Likes

Although they use VizRT for most graphics, it’s to my understanding that Nine (along with most other Australian TV broadcasters) actually uses Metra’s WeatherScape XT system for presentation of the forecast. :slight_smile:

Despite the upgrades to VizRT around 2009, I think it took Nine Perth & Adelaide becoming network O&O stations for the weather presentation to finally become on-par with the East Coast cities?

Yep, I agree!

2 Likes

From what I remember, there was another version which was used throughout 2005:

Yet another school camp story … I remember watching The Simpsons, etc. on the TV in our room during Year 5 camp, and distinctly remember those summer ‘what I like about you’ promos. That was when Ten was quite distinctly a network which catered to younger audiences, at least during primetime.

5 Likes

For good looking weather graphics you can’t beat the ABC in the 1970s

Why don’t weather presenters have pointers anymore? It’s a big loss.

4 Likes

That seems even more advanced than the stuff they used in the 1980s, which from memory had sliding wooden boards.

I still remember being in my room, pretending to a TV weatherman with cardboard charts and whatnot.

3 Likes

Nine used to have the sliding boards I think and one of the networks had chroma key louvres that would flash green as they rotated,

The ABC weather music is something that stayed with me since childhood.

3 Likes