General TV History

I certainly hope no one was bicycling a tape between any of the capital city stations.

It was just a separate channel (under the datacast rules) - here’s an old discussion topic on it from the archives of the DTVforum - Nine Network Election 2004 | TV - Free to Air & Streaming

Unfortunately the screen captures are dead links, but my recollection is they just cycled through the numbers in each electorate with the same full screen graphics as the broadcast.

1 Like

ULTRARE.

And wait… did BTW and GSW had any opt-out for each station, @myfriend ???

3 Likes

Not that i know of myfriend

1 Like

Celeb sighting alert :rotating_light: — Just saw Geoff Mullins in a Brisbane cafe. Very exciting. He still looks good, the old bastard! He drinks long blacks too - very good taste.

3 Likes

ULTRARE / UNSEEN ???

RARE.

4 Likes

Just a translator - but it’s worth discussing… especially that’s an abandoned mining community.

And remember - that’s Mary Kathleen - not Katherine, @myfriend.

Second:

(BLACKLINED @myfriend) ABIQ6 ???

2 Likes

Second Google result for ABIQ6 is https://www.northweststar.com.au/story/5165493/when-tv-came-to-the-isa/

The word from the North West Star files is that television officially arrived in the Isa on December 21, 1970 when ABC was first relayed from Townsville under the call sign ABIQ-6.

The first commercial channel did not arrive until the following year.

1 Like

Does anyone know what year this was?

2 Likes

There was a problem with electricity supply in Queensland due to record demand and hot weather during February 1998. I believe that logo was in use at that time.

2 Likes

BTV6 Chairman’s Report. Sixth Annual General Meeting.

Ballarat and Western Victoria Television Limited.
Directors Report 1961

Review of BTV 6 Studio’s by Ballarat Courier

1 Like

BTV Coverage Area

3 Likes

Craig Campbell on Six News set in Studio B. late 1970s

3 Likes

EMI 203 cameras in use at BTV6

1 Like

LWT was a fascinating station in London. I spent 3 years there as a kid at this time. Fascinating because - as ‘London Weekend Television’ - they only aired on the weekend. So, their (extremely threadbare) news operation only turned on the lights and churned out content from Friday 6pm until Monday morning. What a waste of resources, in today’s mindset! Their news was always a poor cousin of the weekday ‘Thames News’, very folksy with Pam Royle, and their set reminded me of a parking lot - but I remember it fondly.

The London Programme - with one of the best intros of all time, in my opinion. Taped by me.

and their version of ITV’s stunning ident that impresses to this day:

2 Likes

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: TV History - Questions

If you already thought the 10 TV Australia logo was ugly, here it is in PRG form as seen on ATV10 in late 1989. (ATV10 didn’t find colour for its PRG until 1990)

YouTube: David Whytte

Here’s one used by 10 Capital in Canberra/Southern NSW.

YouTube: @SouthCoastTV
1 Like