General TV History

It will be unlike ANYTHING you’ve EVER EVER EVER EVER seen before on Media Spy.

UNMISSABLE!

(I’d make a good promo writer for Ninja Warrior I think :grin: )

1 Like

If I remember correctly, around 10 years ago ABLN Broken Hill went to NSW state service fulltime. Before that it would switch from SA to NSW during NSW state election periods and switch back to SA after the NSW state election was held.
ABAV Albury still gets switched to the NSW service during NSW state elections and reverts back to the VIC ABC service fulltime after the NSW election is held.

2 Likes

MINER/@TelevisionAU/#myfriends/@ElCapitanCranky: GIVE ME THE LOCAL NEWS

PRIME/WIN/SC: NO, WE CAN’T, ACTUALLY, …

1 Like

Why Is It So? occasionally had students on assisting Professor Julius. I recall they didn’t say much but did respond to questions fired at them - in Aussie accents!

Why Is It So was definitely an ABC production, and Prof Sumner Miller worked in Australia on and off for over 20 years. ABC have published some clips from that show online:

I have a copy of the Australian Broadcasting Authority’s Radio and Television Broadcasting Stations (1993), in which the following television transmitters are listed for Goulburn NSW:

CBN64 (relay CBN34 Canberra)
CTC10 (relay CTC7 Canberra)
WIN61 (relay WIN59 Illawarra)

I always assumed that Goulburn relayed WIN31 from Canberra after aggregation, given that Goulburn’s heritage station was CTC10. However, many in the Goulburn area would have obtained fortuitous coverage from WIN4 and indeed I believe there was significant viewership in the Southern Tablelands (praise be, two stations to watch)!

Could anyone confirm or deny this? I never stayed in Goulburn in the analogue era.

3 Likes

Hey #myfriend (@TelevisionAU)

Hmm… dat ABC/CH2 logo

It’s a font. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Font

See how it matches the 7, 9 and 10.

7 Likes

As pointed out. Is not a logo. Just a number. #MyFriends

2 Likes

Found this through Google: http://marconiintelevision.pbworks.com/w/page/85042534/Reflections%20by%20Shaun%20Metcalf

Hey #myfriends, do anyone know if there is/was that segment on Aussie TV (@TelevisionAU, you answer first) :

there is/was a segment on TV that announce who are missing, so that people around a local area, or around the country, find him/her then contact to his/her family’s number (that number is part of the segment) to said that like “I found him/her”

IINM, the process to make anyone on screen as part of that segment is, the people of family (usually mom/dad) will contact with, or go to, the TV station’s HQ/office. Some informations are required to make people easily to find who are missing (such as: age, height, weight, skin, hair, and telephone number, which those who find him/her will contact to that tel. number).

After these informations are filled out (we called it “thủ tục”), you’ll need to wait a “few moment” to your “missing people” is on TV.

In my country, these segment is broadcast very frequently. We called it as “Tìm người thân”, #myfriends

This is an open forum anyone is welcome to answer and discuss it is not dependent on anyone answering “first” #myfriend

5 Likes

This thread has been derailed in recent times. The intent of this thread is to discuss our TV History. While we encourage users to ask questions to further their knowledge, the fact that it has taken over this thread shows that this is not the place to do it.

I have created a dedicated new thread where users can ask questions about TV History, and others can provide answers.

I’d welcome any feedback on this new arrangement. The TV History thread is quite a busy one, and I wouldn’t mind hearing suggestions on other spinoff threads (in the vein of Classic TV Listings that could potentially fill out a TV History subcategory.

28 Likes

Good idea!

13 Likes

Me/#Myfriends/@TelevisionAU/@ElCapitanCranky/@…/fisher:

GIVE ME THE LOCAL NEWS

Prime/WIN/SC: NO, WE CAN’T

I still have a 2010 era LG LED HDTV (that does MPEG4 H.264 + all audio except for DTS which no one cares about anyway) and used to watch the following:

• Bigpond AFL
  • Bigpond NRL
  • Bigpond Supercars
  • ^Bigpond News (white label version of Sky News minus the right wing nut job pundits shows)
  • Bigpond Sports Fan
  • Bigpond Music (that is not the name of of that channel, I don’t remember the actual name)

Did I miss any other channels? Sports Fan was a weird channel from memory but thy also sold some shows to Seven Network which had them on 7mate (in HD1080i back in that time period).

• access to Bigpond Movies, it was basically Telstra T-Box without the need for the actual T-Box STU or access to PVR which was no big deal as the LG does have ability to record with an external HDD.

^ I remember watching on Bigpond News the Gillard v Rudd showdown where she said she was not interested in the top job but within the next 13 hours she was PM.

Worked great also, but I did laugh when ever you did a line speed check the report back was “you don’t have enough bandwidth” to view these channels but worke fine no issues, lol sure Telstra since I had (still have) Optus HFC back then it was 30Mbits today 100Mbits …

It stopped working when LG stopped doing updates for their TV’s that had access to LG Netcast, that was around 2014, the only remaining active service on LG Netcast is vTuner Online radio and access to arcade games.

5 Likes

BPM was the music channel.

1 Like

Yep that’s right thanks for that reminder on the name.

I just checked my old LG TV and tried to access Netcast, message says, service no longer available, even vTuner no longer works, so I unplugged the ethernet cable and removed the TV MAC address from the routers dedicated IP bandwidth access

1 Like

I think we got the point from your earlier post.

9 Likes

Optus HFC is still around 30Mpbs on the base plan, AFAIK Telstra is around 100Mbps now. Optus is pretty stable now that all of the customers have gone to nbn.