General TV History

I do remember it… at the end of Hey Dad! at end of each episode one of the cast said … This is a Gary Reilly Production for the Australian Television Network

Rules are often made to be broken. IMP probably got away with it because even though it was based in the Northern Territory its coverage area also included much of South Australia, and then later expanded to Queensland and remote areas of NSW, Victoria and Tasmania where terrestrial TV doesn’t get to.

AMV, though based in Albury, NSW, was licenced with a “V” call-sign. Possibly because much of its licenced coverage area was to be within north east Victoria.

Radio also has a few examples where normal rules seem to not apply. AM radio stations 2WEB and 4TAB seem to ignore the general protocol for AM stations to have one-number + two-letter callsigns.

Can’t say I remember it.

2 Likes

C stands for Canberra

Dear Sir and Madam,

I wonder if anyone can tell me about which commercial stations have ever been used clock and when it was in use.
Please written as:
Station callsign (year of use).

Your sincerely,
Tran Hoang Duy

That map looks much better than the other one!

As do the RPH services in the capital cities, and the AM repeater stations for Red FM (6GGG)/Spirit Radio (6SAT), although these have/are converting to FM. Hot100 (8HOT) on 765kHz Katherine would be another instance of this.

4EB is one example (possibly the only?) of an FM station with a one-number + two-letter callsign

2 Likes

ATN7 did have a lowercase ‘atn7’ logo way back in the sixties. I’ve seen a picture of it somewhere.

There is also 4US in Rockhampton. Probably a few more if I went digging.

2 Likes

3CH - community radio on 100.7 in Kyneton, VIC is another one. ID’d on air as Highland FM I think.

2 Likes

There was also 2WS FM in Sydney for a few years in the 90s and early 2000s, but they kind of got around it by changing the callsign to 2UUS…

1 Like

Found it!
ATN7%20-%20Spinning%207

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing, but I can’t see them recycling that logo in the late 80s somehow. That said, the ‘atn’ I remember seeing on H&A looked similar.

1 Like

Funny you should mention 2WS in the TV History thread, it seems that they wanted to establish a TV station for Western Sydney back in the 1980s:

It’d be rather interesting to hear more about this proposal.

Presumably the idea of a Western Sydney TV station didn’t get off the ground (at least until TVS, if you can count the former UWS-based community broadcaster as one) because among other reasons, Sydney already had three commercial TV stations in 1984 and there probably wasn’t enough room in the marketplace for a fourth?

No, it’s because the AMV transmitter was, and still is, at Mt Baranduda in Victoria. The location of the transmitter is the determining factor, not which city it’s licensed to or where studios etc are.

2 Likes

Found this on YouTube :rofl::rofl::rofl::joy::joy::joy:

Still searching for the real clean say hello music :cry::cry:

1 Like

Interestingly, the transmitters for the two commercial FM stations in the local area are at Mount Baranduda but have NSW call signs (Hit 104.9-2AAY, 105.7 Triple M-2BDR).

1 Like

Saw this ID on the Morning Show’s tribute to 57 years of Seven. Not sure if ATN7 or ADS7.
ADS7%201966

1 Like

It’s probably a piece of library music considering that this American station seems to have used the same music for station IDs…

How’s this for a clean version? Can’t get much cleaner than The Osmonds.

Definitely not library music. IIRC Gari Communications, who write a lot of TV/radio musics, marketed the theme and use of lyrics for exclusive one-per-market use through North America and a few other countries, like Australia.

2 Likes