TV Commercials

I recall a local ad that used to air during the late 2000s to the early 2010s in Canberra. I’m pretty sure it was for either an go-kart track or an ice skating rink.

I can clearly recall the cheesy music in the ad, which had “RIGHT HERE, RIGHT NOW!” as its only lyric. I’ve forgotten what this place is, so could anyone help me?

Fatboy Slim?

1 Like

No, not that song. Some production music

thought this might be of interest to some in this thread:

Looking forward to this.

It’s interesting how they managed to show some parts of TVCs for cigarettes.

More from ABC:

1 Like

Maybe they have to blur out the brands.

1 Like

like they did on rage when they played a New Kids on the Block video where one of the members wore a T-shirt of a well known footwear brand’s logo.

1 Like

There is an exemption for an ‘incidental accompaniment’.

2 Likes

Uh definitely no blurring!

1 Like

40 cents?! Same packet today is almost $30. :frowning:

1 Like

That was 1972 (with a few less taxes)

1 Like

There’s enough of a prior precedent from previous ACMA / ABA complaints that resolved in favour of the networks when classic cigarette ads were broadcast.

It’s come up a bunch of times in the last 20 years. I have no doubt someone will still complain anyway.

2 Likes

2 Likes

Seeing as the British TV thread is locked (why?), I’ll share this here as it’s related to advertising.

ITV showed a different kind of commercial break last night during BGT - a silent ad-break with the intention of getting people talking to each other/mental health awareness. Although an interesting idea, I think people were generally more likely to be talking to each other about what they were seeing on their TV screens than anything else!

2 Likes

I go to the thread and there is no lock, so you should be able to post there.

2 Likes

Sorted. Don’t know why I thought it was locked - I think I was confusing the symbols/icons!

Just saw an ad for MAIT Industries. Hilariously, it was animated in 2000s-like Flash/Adobe Animate despite being a recent ad.

I have a clear memory of local ads that used to play in Canberra back in 2015, specially on GEM.
Electrodry, The Plumbing & Electrical Doctor (“Call the doctor, Mum!”), John McGrath (one of the ads I remember started with a globe, and it had the “think cars” slogan at the end (might’ve been a prototype), but can’t find it), Canberra Fleet and Wholesale Centre, the old Canberra Sand And Gravel ad, and many others.

Meanwhile, there are some ads I can’t remember what they were for, for example one with a woman walking in a repetitively-changing background over a female-sung jingle with a female singer until she ends up in a garden.