Triple M Network

For a day job I work in marketing. I have frequently planned and executed marketing campaigns for clients going for the 18 - 30 year old male demographic and with it’s ratings at the moment 4MMM (as i am Brisbane based) is not even on my list as a potential marketing channel. The bang for buck just is not there.

If i want to reach that demographic there are better ways than MMM at the moment.

2 Likes

I quite enjoy the sports coverage that MMM provide and if you listen to it, whether it be NRL, AFL or cricket, the personalities and the content is better than any other option. But I think people tune to FM for music and AM for talk and sport. I personally will stick with the m’s and I think they can improve if they fine tune this. The music overhaul imo is getting better, I think it would even be a good idea to scrap a drive show and try to keep it music based?

5 Likes

I think Ugly Phil’s shift and then Jane Gazzo’s Essential Vinyl segment fulfil this in the early afternoon. Having a more comedy based drive show is probably preferred. Even Triple J a more music-based station has a lean towards comedy in drive.

1 Like

Everyone else does it besides WS and Smooth.
I like what triple m do presently but obviously something is happening right as they don’t pull the ratings there. A lot of people on here are pretty negative about the m’s as well, it’s obvious they won’t pull a large female audience and they never really have, but I just don’t know where they go majorly wrong to get the ratings they do, likeom weekends, it’s better than the abc’s coverage and better than 2GB, but scores lower than the both of them, though most of the target audience watch the games I tv anyway.

Weekend figures are for the whole 5:30am-midnight period, not just when the game is on. They could rate a 20 share during the game, but that will average to a low number if people aren’t listening at other times.
2GB and the ABC have programming that is more likely to get listeners at all times of the day, therefore the sport doesn’t need to prop up the rest of the day as much.

I’d say Triple M’s problem isn’t the quality of their sports coverage - it’s either that they don’t deliver a product that people want to listen to for the rest of the weekend, or having the sport turns away their usual listeners for the whole weekend.

It’s probably not of huge concern though as the rates they get for advertising during their sport coverage are significant enough to essentially prop up poor performance at other times.

5 Likes

Well Roy and HG in my opinion is a weak choice for the morning, on Sunday they have the niche acoustic sundays which I’m not a fan of personally. Plus the Saturday night programming won’t stack up against the, Kiis’s, nova’s and the hit’s of the world.

Well, they’re doing the following to fill the void left behind by JJJ Hottest 100’s move away from Australia Day.

2 Likes

That’ll keep the bogans happy at their beach barbecues.

4 Likes

The problem I have with the acoustic Sundays is that it’s usually the same songs played every week. Need to work harder to find some gems.

1 Like

The countdown, titled the Ozzest 100, will focus largely on songs that define Australian music.

“So, the taxpayer-funded FM has decided that there’ll be no soundtrack for Australia Day. Let’s face it, that’s usually full of hipsters or kids making music on a Mac,” the national radio station said in a statement on Wednesday.

So they’ve missed the bit where JJJ are playing entirely Aussie music and refocussing the day:

So, what will triple j be doing on Australia Day, 26 January?
Highlighting the diversity of Australia. We’ll be broadcasting a bunch of special programming that covers some of the day’s biggest events, like the Young Australian of the Year, citizenship ceremonies, the Australia vs England One Day Series, Yabun Festival, and much more. Plus, we’ll be spinning nothing but homegrown music all day long, including the best live Australian music.

This way, both the Hottest 100 and Australia Day get the coverage they deserve as separate events.

From JJJ website.

So yep, just appealing to the lowest bogan denominator.

4 Likes

Wil Anderson has tweeted his disapproval of Ozzest 100 this morning:

6 Likes

SCA knows what it’s doing… MMMs target demo will applaud this decision.

3 Likes

It doesn’t make it right though. If they’re inciting any sort of divisiveness over the issue then that’s not good.

3 Likes

Unfortunately a lot of Australians get some sort of joy out of pushing back against any mark of respect for indigenous Australians, as if it hurts our freedoms or enjoyments.

4 Likes

Agreed, it’s extraordinarily tacky of them to do it. I bet they’ll make a fuss over it this year and then we’ll never hear of it again.

2 Likes

It’ll probably bomb. MMM play very little overlap with JJJ so anyone who listens in to MMM expecting indie music like they usually would for the Hottest 100 would probably hate it.

A dumb decision appealing to bogans.

5 Likes

I’d say they’d be playing old Aussie music though. Not new Aussie music.

Exactly, so it isn’t even a replacement or poor knock-off of the Hottest 100. It’s just MMM doing a shitty old music countdown and putting it on a date to ride a wave of controversy.

4 Likes

Knowing that Triple M is the same network which very briefly had a program hosted by Mark Latham and currently runs an overnight talk program hosted by a former AM talkback host, should anyone be overly surprised that they’re trying to take a dig at Triple J by running an Australia Day music countdown?

Just for the record, I’m not a particular fan of either Triple J or Triple M.

3 Likes

I think SCA management see it as business decision (not political) to take advantage of a gap left in the market. That’s their excuse anyway.

I tend to agree and I don’t believe it to be politically motivated. Triple M on-air are mostly neutral politically and if anything in recent years they lean to the left anyway. I don’t listen to Luka Bona’s show but most other time slots I don’t hear any extreme political material.

3 Likes