Triple M Network

An Idea for Triple M in Melbourne would be Afternoons with Jane Gazzo 12-4, then Drive with Mick and Jane 4pm-6pm and then Rush Hour from 6-7pm.

Great idea. The only change I’d make would be to bring back Lee Simon from 12noon-1pm, then you could have Jane from 1pm-4pm etc.

I hope they keep The Rush hour with Jars and Louie from 4-6pm on 5MMM. Its rating really well at the moment.

They’re basically forced to run a 4-6 drive on Fridays from March-September with the various footy coverage they do (5:55 on Air for a 6PM kickoff when NRL have 2 FNF games), so it would make better sense for consistency to have a 4-6 start. But this network isn’t exactly known as making decisions that make sense.

1 Like

Lee Simon as footy chief has enough to do than prepare and host a show five days a week.

Jane Gazzo as you know is back from maternity leave. Maternity leave is not one long holiday, she had a baby, she most likely wants flexibility with her work to enjoy time with her bub. You can’t ‘re-live’ those years, so why not have as much time off as you can to nurture your child growing up if you can. Jane seemingly is happy to do that.

Whilst MMM have depth with their double drive shows in many markets, they are not doing much to encourage new talent to metro markets with automation or networking at night and weekends. Remember, this talent is not expensive and the right talent is not an effort to handle, so why not put these people to air, turn the lights on in stations.

4 Likes

They’ve taken a punt on new talent with Tom and Ollie this year but that’s only Melbourne and Sydney. Running Luka Bona overnight across the whole network means there is less opportunity for new talent on mid-dawns though.

On HYBPA tonight Mick said that the show would be on 4-6pm

3 Likes

that would make sense for Rush Hour to air at 3pm or 6pm then.

Hot Breakfast actually had the Prime Minister on this morning. The awkward thing was Lawrence Mooney is currently filling in for Luke Darcy on the show. Lawrence is well known for his on-air impersonations of Malcolm Turnbull and so was absent during the interview.

4 Likes

Not sure if it has been mentioned but TRIPLE M have launched Classic Rock Digital again!!! Re tune and it’s there, plus they have a website…

8 Likes

Sanity prevails finally :slight_smile:

They also have MMM Modern Rock and MMM Greatest Hits on DAB now.

I think they’ve finally worked out what to do with DAB!

5 Likes

MMM Modern Digital was a great alternative to triple j on my drive to work this morning and what I had hoped double j was going to be. Good mix of JJJ classics and the stuff they play today, with modern songs from some bands they have stopped playing such as Chris Cornell, Green Day and blink 182. If it has a broad, minimal repeat playlist I’ll be a listener.

5 Likes

Tend to agree. MMM Modern is great with what I’ve heard so far.

With Triple J starting to skew more towards electronic and hip/hop genres it’s a great alternative for those with more of an interest in new alternative rock genres.

2 Likes

Notice it’s not called MMM Modern Rock, but just MMM Modern. Leaving them open to play artists like Lorde, Florence and the Machine, etc. going after the triple j audience.

5 Likes

MMM Modern Digital is what I listen to now, Mainly Regional Listeners to Triple M shall download the App and take it wherever they go.

2 Likes

Greatest hits has had Paul Mcartney all week, Classic Rock has thrown up some gems.

2 Likes

I have been listening to Classic Rock and Triple M Modern and both awesome stations. :thumbsup:

3 Likes

Maybe midnight tonight it will be the “real” greatest hits. It will be interesting to hear how it sounds.

3 Likes

I’ve only heard one commercial on Triple M Modern. Is this standard fare for Hit network multichannels or is this a soft launch?

Have been listening all week and it is an excellent station - enjoying the lack of ads and whilst the “today’s music” portion of the playlist is repetitive, it actually feels like the “classic” playlist is expanding every day like some programmer is thinking of bands that they forgot to include. I have listened to Triple J for 18 years so I am probably outgrowing the target market - this is the best thing on Australian radio that has drawn my attention away since then.

2 Likes

Can’t tell you how much I’m loving Triple M Modern. I agree with the above about the fact that the new songs are a bit repetitive (although still not as bad as some stations) but in amongst them are a lot of songs you wouldn’t have heard on the main station for years.

I know many will disagree but I think the main station would fair a lot better if they adopted this format. Best thing on Australian Radio for years.

2 Likes