Travel & Holidays

The Tasmanian Government said it now expects the first of the new Spirit of Tasmania ferries, which went under a sea trial this week in Finland, will be ready for “delivery” in the third quarter of 2024, with the second due in the first quarter of 2025.

The upgrade of the Devonport terminal has also been delayed, with berth 3 not expected to open until January 2026.

2 Likes

Also reports that Bain is set for an IPO by Christmas.

Definitely needs an upgrade at the Devonport end, Geelong is much better, much quicker and has facilities like a cafe and toilets whilst you wait to board (instead of having to wait in the car).

Jetstar today relaunched the Avalon-Brisbane route, after a 10-year absence. One flight will operate every day.

1 Like

Only one good thing comes out of Avalon and that’s the airshow.

2 Likes

Hyatt Regency Hotel in Perth has announced it will close on August 31. Owner Tuan Sing Holdings Limited says the property will be repositioned and rebranded.

2 Likes

A few years ago (just before COVID) I did a cruise with my partner and 2 friends over New Years to New Zealand for 10 days. It’s not a holiday type that I had ever really considered but we kind of jumped at the idea on the fly when there was a sale. We were in our early 30s and definitely didn’t really fit into the crowd (which we didn’t mind as it was a getaway for the 4 of us). It was mostly older couples or families, which I can see exactly why this type of holiday would appeal to them.

I’m glad I did a cruise to experience one but don’t think I would again. It’s not my type of travel which I prefer to explore and see/do more. You do feel quite isolated especially on back-to-back sea days being stuck with the same people 24/7, there was no escaping each other and it did test our friendship at times. I would only consider again if it was a shorter cruise and to a warmer location.

3 Likes

Agree, i have gone off the idea of doing extended train or cruise holidays. I kind of felt trapped on them too. And trying to sleep on those things at night is a real challenge as well.

1 Like

currently in Perth for work (from Brisbane). You’d think a 2-hour time difference isn’t a lot, but when you wake up at 4am instead of 6am it does affect you all day. With a mandated lunch break at 12:30 i need to make sure i eat a good breakfast to get me through but even by 12:30 i’m absolutely starving.

4 Likes
2 Likes

Iconic Queensland koala sanctuary to stop offering koala cuddles

Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary in Brisbane, which opened in 1927, is a popular destination for getting up close and personal with the loveable Australian marsupial.

The sanctuary has issued a statement confirming that, from the start of this month, guests will no longer be able to hold the koalas - a move it says is to “address increasing public demand” for “more immersive and educational experiences”.

Banned in most other states.

1 Like
3 Likes

The first flight departed Perth on Sunday, Bastille Day (July 14).

2 Likes

Good for Perth people but for the East Coast, still probably better flying a better product on the other players.

Keep an eye on another new player, Riyadh Air, looks set to eventually become the big fourth player in the Middle East. Being setup by the ex Etihad boss, they are talking a bit game product wise so cannot wait to see this one.

Turkish will obviously be launching non stop to IST and beyond also soon. Another good operator.

1 Like

As posted in this thread before, the introduction of the Sydney-Perth-Paris route means the Perth-Melbourne leg of the QF9/10 London-Melbourne service has been dropped, due to logistical reasons. That means travellers will have to change planes in Perth or Singapore, if they want to fly Qantas between London/Paris and Melbourne, until Qantas begins the Project Sunrise non-stop flights between London and Melbourne in 2026.

1 Like

An additional $47.1 million had been delivered to the biosecurity system after a change to the government’s fees and charges, Agriculture Minister Murray Watt revealed on Tuesday.

International travellers have been paying $10 more for the passenger movement charge since July 1 after the Commonwealth raised the fee to $70 in the 2023 federal budget.

This increase pays for a share of the costs for managing biosecurity risks at airports and cruise terminals.

A range of other importer fees have also grown after a 2023 review which found the costs of delivery biosecurity and imported food regulatory activity had grown and changes were necessary to fund the biosecurity system long-term.

1 Like
2 Likes